A walk between Valfloriana and Sover exploring traces of the ancestral relationship between man and the forests
This itinerary starts from Bait dal Manz, just after Sicina, Valfloriana’s last and highest altitude hamlet. From Bait dal Manz take the gravel road in the direction of Mt Escapitolare, the boundary line between the Sover and Valfloriana areas and long fought over by the two communities.
The footpath then continues into the forests and on to the splendid hamlet of Monte Alto, a clump of houses which overlooks the Cembra valley with spectacular views.
From Monte Alto it continues on a footpath through silent forests back in the direction of Valfloriana in an environment whose man-forest bond is an especially profound one. Beyond the majestic forests which dominate the landscape here, this is testified to by an imposing historic witness, Cava de le Bore, a historic channel paved in stone which woodsmen once used to get high altitude timber down into the valleys. It was extremely dangerous work but of crucial importance to this small mountain community. The Valfloriana Cava de le Bore was washed away by the 1966 flood but large scale renovation work by the town council means that this precious feat of mountain engineering can now once again be admired.
Cava de le Bore is visitable on the footpath named after Marco Nones, mayor of Valfloriana for twenty years, before you return to Bait dal Manz.
Even if this trail is not technically difficult and has no dangerous stretches, we always and in any case suggest to follow the general rules on safety for mountain hikes.
- Prepare your itinerary
- Choose an excursion appropriate for your real ability and training level
- Choose the fitting equipment
- Check the weather forecast
- Hiking alone is risky
- Give details about your itinerary and about the approximate hour of your return
- Do not hesitate to entrust you to an expert
- Pay attention to the indication and signals you will find along your journey
- Do not hesitate to retrace your steps
- In case of accident: ask for help and call the number 112
Parking area at Bait dal Manz
- Trekking shoes or mountain boots
- Trekking poles