The 'Sentiero dei Vecchi Mestieri' (Old Trades Trail) follows ancient paths that have linked the two sides of Valle di Cembra from time immemorial.
Distance 13.3 km
Whereas the existence of such paths helps explain, for instance, why in the past young people from Sover frequently ended up marrying young people from Grauno or Grumes, the presence of paths across the 'Dossone di Cembra' (i.e. the ridge separating Valle di Cembra from Valle dell'Adige) paved the way for seasonal workers to descend to the Unterland/Bassa Atesina (the area around Auer/Ora, Neumarkt/Egna and Salurn/Salorno). Following severe flood damages in 1966, the network of cross-river paths seemed to have been lost for ever, but extensive restoration work is now under way. The trail reweaves the ethnographic fabric of the Upper Valle di Cembra as it once was and makes it possible to see and/or visit various ancient man-made structures and tradesmen's workshops, some of which remained in use until the 1950s: limekilns (they are, admittedly, not easy to spot in a geological landscape that is so overwhelmingly dominated by the presence of Permian porphyry); watermills driven by water diverted from impetuous streams; and smithies. The trail also has a naturalistic facet which is just as fascinating as the ethnographic one: the gorge of the Avisio River is namely a striking example of pristine, wild, untamed landscape.
Safety informationTHE 10 RULES FOR HIKERS
- Prepare your itinerary beforehand
- Choose an itinerary that suits your physical abilities
- Choose suitable clothes and equipment
- Check the weather forecast
- Hiking by yourself is more risky; if this is the case, take a mobile phone with you
- Leave information about your itinerary and your expected return time
- If you are not sure about your itinerary, contact an Alpine Guide
- Pay attention to signposts and directions that you find along your way
- Do not hesitate in going back if you feel too tired
- In case of emergency call 112
Tips and hintsPiné Cembra Tourist Office - Tel. +39 0461 683110 - email@example.com - www.visitpinecembra.it
Getting thereBy car: From south or north, on the A22 Brennero motorway, leave the motorway at the Trento Nord exit (22.5 km from the toll gate), continue northwards on the Main Brennero Road SS12 until the turn-off for Lavis, then take the Lavis - Castello di Fiemme Main Road SS612 which will take you to the Cembra Valley.
32T 677884 5121361
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentHiking shoes, rain-jacket, hiking poles, water, sun cream.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view