The natural wonders of the Pozzolago stream and power station, an attractive example of industrial architecture
From the center of Lona, the route goes down towards the Avisio stream following a farm road (signs for Pozzolago) which descends until you reach the Pozzolago power plant, an attractive example of industrial architecture dating to the 1920s. It is still working and harnesses the waters of the Lagorai massif which flow down from the Piné high plateau in an approximately 3.5 km long conduit from Lake Piazze, a 604 altitude difference. From the power station a bridge over the river, “Pont dele Formìghe”, takes you across to the far side in the Cembra direction.
To resume our journey, we go up for a short distance along the path that leads to the power station, up to an isolated house, above which we take the SAT E463 path on the left that climbs to the hamlet of Piazzole, a very well looked after village filled with plants and flowers.
The village contains a characteristic chapel dating to the 18th century named after St Job, embodying patience and patron saint of silk worms and fields. Silk was once an important resource in the local economy, including in this smallest of Trentino valleys.
From Piazzole, we continue to follow the E463 path that climbs up to the provincial road, which we cross, to continue climbing up to the hamlet of Casara and then continue to finally reach Lona.
Even if this trail is not technically difficult and has no dangerous stretches, we always and in any case suggest to follow the general rules on safety for mountain hikes.
- Prepare your itinerary
- Choose an excursion appropriate for your real ability and training level
- Choose the fitting equipment
- Check the weather forecast
- Hiking alone is risky
- Give details about your itinerary and about the approximate hour of your return
- Do not hesitate to entrust you to an expert
- Pay attention to the indication and signals you will find along your journey
- Do not hesitate to retrace your steps
- In case of accident: ask for help and call the number 112
Free public parking near Bar Ezzo (Lona Lases)
- Trekking shoes or mountain boots
- Trekking poles