Two highlights in one tour. The experience of reaching the summit of the Kofel and a panoramic route that ends in a typical Bavarian treat at the Kolbensattel Hut
The summit of the Kofel offers fabulous views in several directions. To the North, you will see the Pulvermoos Moor and the Ammer Valley, whilst the Weidmoos Moor lies to the South. These two low-lying moors originated from the same Ice Age glacier lake. The rock-free and wooded Aufacker, which lies to the East, had virtually no trees at all 100 years ago. More than 1,000 cattle and sheep used to graze on its slopes.
There are also beautiful views over to the Kolbensattel Hut whilst you are still on the ridgeway. The path takes you through shady mixed mountain forest. This form of woodland is typical of the Northern Alps and comprises spruce, beech, silver fir, sycamore maple, wych elm and ash.
Once you arrive at your destination, you will be rewarded with fantastic views over the Ammer Valley. These can be enjoyed from the terrace of the Kolbensattel Hut with a cool drink and a tasty Bavarian snack.
Im Notfall verständigen Sie bitte die nächstgelegene Rettungsleitstelle. Unabhängig vom Standort erreichen Sie diese deutschlandweit unter der Telefonnummer 112.
Tips and hintsProspektmaterial ansehen und/oder bestellen
Getting thereA95, B23 to Oberammergau via Ettal
ParkingTourist-Info Oberammergau, Eugen-Papst-Str.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentYou can enjoy an unforgettable hiking experience in the Ammergau Alps as long as you have the right gear. Visit the "Best of Wandern" Test Centre in Bad Kohlgrub to try out the latest outdoor equipment free of charge.
- GPS devices
- rucksacks, child carriers, children's jackets
- multifunctional jackets
- hiking boots
- sticks and head lamps
- tour software
- snow shoes
- backpacking umbrellas
The Best of Wandern Test Centre is located at Hotel Schillingshof, directly opposite the Hörnlebahn ski lift. adress: Fallerstraße 11, Bad Kohlgrub tel.: +49 8845 7010.
For more information, visit: www.ammergauer-alpen.de/testcenter
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.