This trail is exactly right for you if you would like to turn a walk on the Kramer plateau into more of a sportive hiking tour. The mountain hut St.-Martin-Hütte offers one of the most beautiful views in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
Distance 13.3 km
This way leads you along the trail of kings and its history from one great view to the next. Even the king Maximilian II enjoyed these beautiful hiking paths on the south side of Kramer Mountain. This path leads via the St.-Martin-hut up to the so-called “Königsstand” (king’s stand) and back again. This is a nice half-day hike, in which you can even stop at the hut and enjoy a refeshment or nice meal.
When descending, stop at the St.-Martin-hut and enjoy the unique view as well as your well-earned refreshments. The trail to the Königsstand was cut into the wall for the king Maximilian II of Bavaria so that he could go hunting there.
Update: December 28, 2021
Rest StopSt. Martins Hütte am Grasberg
Safety informationSurefootedness, good physical condition and a cool head for heights are necessary. Phone number for Alpine emergencies: Phone 112 (Mountain Rescue Service)
Weather forecast for the local mountains of the Bayerischen Zugspitzbahn Bergbahnen cable car company: Phone +49 8821 797 979
Tips and hintswww.gapa.de, www.martinshuette-grasberg.de
Getting thereTake the motorway A95 to Eschenlohe and continue on the state street B2 until you reach Garmisch-Partenkirchen. After the tunnel, drive in the direction of the Garmisch part of the town and continue on Burgstraße to the Loisachbrücke (a bridge). There, take a sharp right onto Fürstenstraße and left two times (Lazarettstraße, Brauhausstraße) until you reach the Bayernhalle.
From Mittenwald, use the B2 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, follow the main road to the fifth traffic light, and turn left at this injunction. At the next injunction, also turn left and then follow the street until you reach the next traffic light. Turn right there, cross the Loisachbrücke (right and left immediately afterwards) onto Fürstenstraße, and then turn left two times (Lazarettstraße/Brauhausstr.) until you reach the Bayernhalle.
Via B23, drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and then follow along Zugspitzstraße (you will cross Marienplatz square and Promenadenstraße). When you reach the Loisachbrücke (major intersection), turn left and right immediatily right onto Fürstenstraße and left two times (Lazarettstraße/Brauhausstraße) until you reach the Bayernhalle.
ParkingParking is available directly at the Bayernhalle (subjet to charge).
32T 656829 5262805
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentMid-height boots that provide ample support for your ankles as well as telescopic hiking sticks are advantageous.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view