For a more detailed description of the tour, please refer to "PDF Print" above.
Our recommendation: Stay in the Kreuzjochhaus or Kreuzeckhaus (run by the German Alpine Club) Alpine huts for further hikes in this interesting hiking region.
Enjoy a meal or refreshments in the Aule-Alm, Kreuzalm or the DAV (German Alpine Club) Kreuzeckhaus.
Safety informationThis is an Alpine hike, making it absolutely necessary to be surefooted and not afraid of heights. If you intend to use the Kreuzeckbahn for your return the valley, please keep in mind the cable car schedules (Information available at the base and top terminal as well as on the Internet: www.zugspitze.de).
The phone number for Alpine emergencies: Phone 112 (Mountain Rescue Service)
Weather forecast for the local mountains of the Bayerische Zugspitzbahn Bergbahnen cable car company: Phone +49 8821 797 979
Tips and hintswww.gapa.de, www.zugspitze.de (for information on cable car schedules),
Getting thereTake the motorway A95 from Munich to its end at Eschenlohe, and then follow the state road B2 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Behind the Farchanter tunnel drive in the direction of the Garmisch part of town and Grainau/Zugspitze. Go on through Garmisch and towards Grainau/Zugspitze. At the end of the town, follow the signs to Kreuzeckbahn/Alpspitzbahn and turn left after the barracks. This road will lead you to the base terminals of the Kreuzeck- and Alpspitzbahn cable cars.
From Innsbruck/Mittenwald, take the state road B2 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Turn left at the intersection at the town hall in the direction of Grainau/Zugspitze/Fernpass/Reutte and follow the course of the main road (Bahnhofstraße, St.-Martin-Straße). Just before leaving town, follow the signs to the Kreuzeckbahn/Alpspitzbahn and turn left at the barracks. The road leads you directly to the baser terminals of the Kreuzeck and Alpspitzbahn cable cars.
Coming from Ehrwald/Tirol or Grainau/Zugspitze on state road B23, turn right just behind the place name sign of Garmisch-Partenkirchen and before the barracks/Marshall-Centre at the set of traffic lights. Follow the signs to Kreuzeckbahn/Alpspitzbahn. The road leads you directly to the large parking area between the two base terminals.
ParkingLarge parking area at the cable car stations (P9)
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentAnkle-high sturdy footwear
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.