For a more detailed description of the tour, please refer to "PDF Print" above.
Rest StopHausberg, Restaurant-Hotel
Safety informationPhone number for Alpine emergencies: Tel. 112 (Mountain Rescue Service)
Weather forecast for the local mountains of the Bayerische Zugspitzbahn Bergbahnen cable car company: Phone +49 8821 797 979
Note that you are going on the tour at your own risk. Garmisch-Partenkirchen Tourismus assumes no liability. Observe the local information and route descriptions.
Tips and hintswww.gapa.de
Getting thereTake the motorway A95 in the direction of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. When you have reached the end of the motorway at Eschenlohe, follow the state road B2 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Follow the signs to the Garmisch part of town. In Garmisch, follow the signs to Alpspitz-Wellenbad/Olympia-Eissport-Zentrum.
If you are coming from Innsbruck/Mittenwald, follow the signs in the direction of Grainau/Reutte when you have reached the Rathausplatz (town hall square). After the station, you will drive through an underpass. Turn left right after it, and follow the signs to Alpspitz-Wellenbad/Olympia-Eissport-Zentrum.
If you are coming from Reutte/Ehrwald/Tirol via the state road B23, drive into Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Turn right at the second traffic light and follow the course of the road until you reach the traffic lights right before the underpass. Turn right here to the Alpspitz-Wellenbad/Olympia-Eissport-Zentrum.
ParkingLarge parking lot at the Alpspitz-Wellenbad (public swimming pool) adjacent to the Olympia Eissportzentrum (Olympic Ice Sports Centre) (P6)
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.