In Schellenberg we pass the sports field and then continue to Hinterschellenberg near the Austrian border. On clear days walkers can see as far as Lake Constance. A hiking trail narrow in places leads us through the forest along the Gantenstein mountain to the Upper Castle in Schellenberg. This is a good place to rest. The route then heads along a former smuggling trail down into the village centre of Mauren as far as the post office. As walkers approach the village they will be able to see from afar the St. Peter & Paul Parish Church in the centre of Mauren.
From the village centre of Mauren, the trail leads us first slightly uphill to Fallsgass and then down to the Silk Tree Trail. The name derives from the fact that mulberry trees were formerly used in silk production. Afterwards we reach the Birka bird paradise, where we stop for a rest. We recommend you take the opportunity to look at the memorial plaque commemorating the flooding of the Rhine in 1927 and showing how high the water rose at that time. We then pass the wetlands of the Maurer Riet and the Funkenplatz Schaanwald, where traditional bonfire celebrations are held each winter, before reaching the customs office on the border between Liechtenstein and Austria.
Rest StopLandgasthof Roessle
Frederick im Kokon II
Gasthaus zum Hirschen
Weinlaube - Gourmet
Hotel Kommod - Restaurant
Jägerstube zum Kreuz
Wirtschaft zum Löwen
1950 American Diner
Ristorante Pizzeria Sapori
Mündle Bäckerei Konditorei
Mündle Bäckerei Konditorei
Ritter Bäckerei-Konditorei Anstalt
Safety informationPlease be quiet when passing through the Ruggeller Riet and stay on the trail at all times so as not to disturb the animals. The climb from Ruggell to Schellenberg is very steep. At Hinterschellenberg there is a short ascent.
Tips and hintsLuggage Transport Service
The best way to enjoy the Liechtenstein Trail is to travel light. We therefore offer a handy luggage transport service to move your bags from hotel to hotel.
Equipped only with a light daypack, hikers set off to explore the Liechtenstein Trail. We will organise luggage transport from accommodation to accommodation and make sure that your suitcase is waiting for you when you arrive. More about the Luggage Transport Service.
Liechtenstein Trail Packages
- von St. Gallen über die Autobahn A13 (ca. 45 Minuten)
- von Zürich über die A3 bis Sargans, dann auf die A13 (ca. 1 Stunde)
- von München über die A96, in Österreich auf die A14 (ca. 3 Stunden)
- von Innsbruck über die A12, S16 und dann A14 (ca. 2.5 Stunden)
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.