This hike leads along the Valünabach river to the Alp Valüna and on to the Pfälzer hut, the highest building in Liechtenstein. The impressive highlight of the hike is watching the sunrise from the top of the Naafkopf mountain.
Distance 19 km
The hike begins at the Gängle lake reservoir in Steg and leads first into the romantic Valüna Valley. At the Alp Valüna hikers can take a break before the path becomes steeper. A quarter of an hour from the point in Obersäss where several trails intersect, our route joins the Liechtenstein Panorama Trail. The path runs parallel to the Via Alpina trail through the Naaf Valley, which is rich in plants and surrounded by scree slopes, and then reaches the Pfälzer hut. Hikers who opt to stay the night there should take on the approximately one-hour climb to the top of the Naafkopf mountain the following morning and enjoy an unforgettable sunrise. The borders of Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein meet on this mountain. With a bit of luck you will also see ibexes. Return to the Pfälzer hut and then head down to Alp Gritsch. From there, the hiking trail winds its way down in a series of switchback corners through the steep slopes of Retta to Alp Valüna and the Gängle lake.
Sunrise on top of the Naafkopf mountain.
Update: May 14, 2021
ParkingParkplätze befinden sich beim Gänglesee,
32T 543795 5217282
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view