This technically demanding trail run along the ridge parallel to the Rhine Valley offers special perspectives. The downhill is reminiscent of Canada.
Distance 18.4 km
The starting point is located at the bus stop / car park directly after the tunnel before Steg. Cross the stream and follow the road for a short distance before the hiking trail branches left and ascends steeply upwards. At the Berggasthaus Sücke Mountain Inn you follow the road for a short distance until you almost reach the ridge, where the trail changes direction before the tunnel and traverses the cow pasture. Remain on the ridge trail, which climbs over the “Chrüppel” and “Kolme”, at times very steeply through the forest, until you leave the tree line behind you and reach the highest point of the tour at the “Goldlochspitz”. Optionally you can add the Rappenstein to your tally here, or descend via Obersäss and Waldboda to the Valüna Stream. The downhill section is not particularly steep and follows the gravel road, which leads you via Valüna quickly back to Steg. Once you have arrived at Seeli you can either turn right into the village, or walk straight back to the parking lot.
Warm up well before the trail, or begin slowly as the route climbs steeply right from the start. At the end of the trail, spoil yourself with a refreshment at the Seeblick Restaurant. More about the author Michael Lenz: https://swisstrailguide.com
Update: May 21, 2021
Rest StopAlp Valuena
Mountain Guesthouse Sücka
Restaurant Bergstübli Steg
Safety informationThe path along the ridge is covered with roots and is steep and exposed in places. You pass cattle meadows where calves are kept together with their mothers. Keep your distance and slow down to walking speed when passing the mother cows.
Tips and hintsThe route can be extended by hiking from Obersäss via the Pfälzer hut and Augstenberg to Sareis, where the chairlift takes you down to Malbun. From there it is a stone's throw or a short bus ride back to Steg.
Combine this trail run with a family excursion. In Malbun you will find a spacious playground and other great facilities for families and children.
ParkingAusreichend öffentliche Parkplätze (gratis) direkt nach dem Tunnel oder beim Stausee im Dorf. Der Startpunkt befindet sich ca 100m nach dem Tunnel kurz vor dem Dorfeingang.
32T 543663 5217832
EquipmentTrail running shoes, clothing appropriate for the weather, at least 1 litre of water and snacks (energy bars, gel).
Basic Equipment for Trail Running
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Comfortable running shoes
- Trail running socks
- Vest pack
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Kit para bolhas
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view