The tour then continues on the relatively broad ridge to the Kleinhockenhorn (this is not an officially signposted route). Here you will have to cross either a snow field or a firn field. The climb to the summit is steep and requires a great deal of stamina. Some experience of Alpine mountaineering and sure footedness are essential when climbing up to the summit over boulders and scree and you may need to hold on with one or both hands on occasion. You will have reached your destination after a 2.5 hour climb. From the Hockenhorn you will enjoy a magnificent view over many of the Valais Alps as far as Mont Blanc.
Handy hint: You can save yourself the 2 hours 40 minutes-long hike through the Gasterental Valley with a comfortable bus ride from Kandersteg railway station to Selden (bus reservation essential: Tel. +41 (0)33 671 11 72)
More information at: Tel. +41 (0)27 939 19 81 www.loetschenpass.ch
Rest StopLötschenpass Hut
- We recommend that a state-certified mountain guide accompanies you on this mountain tour
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!