The challenging hike to the Ober Färda is like embarking on a journey 100 million years back in time and with luck you will find some petrified fossils from the prehistoric sea.
The trail begins in Ferden and passes through the "Färdawald" Forest up to the Kummenalp. There the ascent to the Unders Färda, a charming floodplain abundant with colourful Alpine flowers, begins. The path then continues along the young Färdabach stream up to a small mountain lake at a height of 2403 m above sea level, which is called "coffee lake" by the locals. Here you can explore the fascinating rock and moraine landscape. Return to Ferden along the same route (approx. 2 hours 05min).
The 1: 25,000 scale hiking map is your perfect companion for an unforgettable day's hiking in the Lötschental. Available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop
Updated: October 21, 2020
Rest StopGuesthouse Kummenalp
- We recommend that a state-certified mountain guide accompanies you on this mountain tour
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
Tips, hints and linksOur mountain guides in the Lötschental:
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein as far as the village of Ferden.
ParkingYou can park your car in the car park by the "Ferden, Dorf" postbus stop or in the car park (not free).
32T 404636 5138580
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.