Stage 2: Start via the glacier "Oberer Aletschgletscher" and the glacier "Beichgletscher" to the south-eastern foot of the Lonzahörner. From here, climb through the heavily fissured glacial channel between the two impressive rocky outcrops and ascend steeply up to the upper glacier plateau. Continue over the less steep slopes at the south-eastern foot of the summit ridge. Locate the ski depot here and continue with ease on foot along the south-eastern ridge up to the south-eastern summit.
Stage 3: Following your summit tour, savour the long descent down your ascent route back into the Lötschental Valley.
- This tour is only recommended when there is adequate snow and safe conditions owing to the steepness of the ice falls and crevasses.
- We recommend that a state-certified mountain guide accompanies you on this ski tour
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
Tips and hintsThe SAC Oberaletsch Hut:
- 2,640 metres above sea level
- Within the Jungfrau-Aletsch UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Owned by the SAC Chasseral division
- 58 beds (plus 12 beds in the old hut)
- Staffed during the spring and summer season
- Multilingual: German, English, French, Italian and Japanese
- The starting point for rewarding ski, mountain and climbing tours
- Ideal for hikers (summer only)
- Children welcome
- Comfortable and simple
The room for winter visitors is now in the smaller hut approx. 50 metres below the hut. Cooking utensils, crockery, cutlery and a wood stove (incl. wood) are provided.
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein, past the villages of Ferden, Kippel and Wiler to Blatten as far as the old post office.
ParkingYou can park your car in the car park next to the old post office in Blatten (not free).
- A full set of glacier equipment is essential.
- Skitourenkarte Jungfrau 264S (The Jungfrau Region Ski-Touring Map 264S) - This 1:50,000 scale topographical map includes the ski tours in the Lötschental Valley, which are described in more detail in the SAC Tour Guide available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop