A demanding ski tour to the Ferdenrothorn against a uniquely beautiful wintery backdrop.
From Ferden, climb towards the Kummenalp before continuing on towards the Ferden Pass. The route then rises somewhat more steeply, following the edge of the ridge. You can keep your skis on until around 50 metres below the summit and then, depending on snow conditions, use crampons and picks to work your way along the remainder of the ridge. The Ferdenrothorn is a striking and unique mountain, particularly when seen from the Lötschental Valley. Its eastern and north-eastern faces are folded in waves, making the mountain unmistakeable. Soak in the wonderful view over the Lötschental Valley.
Our mountain guides in the Lötschental:
Updated: February 17, 2016
- We recommend that a state-certified mountain guide accompanies you on this ski tour
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein as far as the village of Ferden.
ParkingYou can park your car in the car park by the "Ferden, Dorf" postbus stop or in the car park (not free).
32T 404641 5138598
- A full set of glacier equipment is essential.
- Skitourenkarte Jungfrau 264S (The Jungfrau Region Ski-Touring Map 264S) - This 1:50,000 scale topographical map includes the ski tours in the Lötschental Valley, which are described in more detail in the SAC Tour Guide available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.