Stage 2: This medium-difficult high-level Alpine ski tour requires a climb of between 3 and 4 hours for the section from the SAC Hollandia Hut to the Mittaghorn, but you will then be rewarded with a breathtaking descent across the glacier "Anugletscher" back to your starting point.
Other possible ascents to the Mittaghorn:
- South-west flank: Stay at the Peter Tscherrig Anen Hut to ascend across the glacier "Anugletscher" and via the south-west flank of the mountain.
- This tour can also be completed in one day by starting it at Fafleralp, but this needs a very early start in order to ensure that you have returned to your starting point by midday.
- 3,235 metres above sea level
- Overnight accommodation for 80 people
- Starting point for the Äbeni Flue, Mittaghorn, Aletschhorn and many others
- Hut phone number: Tel. +41 (0)27 939 11 35
- Owned by SAC, Berne Division
- We recommend that a state-certified mountain guide accompanies you on this ski tour
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
Caution: Only attempt this tour in safe conditions. The glacier ice falls in the upper reaches of the Anugletscher are tricky and require a safe choice of route. Accurate knowledge of the current situation is indispensable if you wish to descend from the Hollandia Hut over the Anugletscher.
Tips, hints and linksOur mountain guides in the Lötschental:
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein, past the villages of Ferden, Kippel and Wiler to Blatten as far as the old post office.
ParkingYou can leave your car in the car park by the old post office in Blatten (not free).
- A full set of glacier equipment is essential.
- Skitourenkarte Jungfrau 264S (The Jungfrau Region Ski-Touring Map 264S) - This 1:50,000 scale topographical map includes the ski tours in the Lötschental Valley, which are described in more detail in the SAC Tour Guide available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop