An idyllic hike from the Fafleralp to Blatten.
Distance 6.5 km
The hike starts at the Gletscherstafel, where the road ends and only footpaths continue. You can see the round indentation of the Lötschenlücke high above the Lang Glacier at the very end of the valley. The hike leads you down the valley on the right-hand flank in the opposite direction. On a flat plain, you skirt round a forested crest to the small Faflersee (Fafleralp Lake), where we turn into the "Uisters Tal" (Outer Valley) along the "Faflerwald" Forest. 1,400 metres above your head, the mighty snowfield and glacier field of the Petersgrat forms the horizon. You do not continue further into this valley, but cross the first bridge that leads into the "Chiemadwald" Forest a few hundred metres further on. Just under a kilometre later you reach the "Schwarzsee" (Black Lake), where a short rest is a must to soak in the magnificent panorama. On days when there is no wind, the mighty mountains in the south – the Lötschental Breithorn, Breitlauihorn and Bietschhorn – form a perfect reflection on the mirrored surface of the water. Towards evening, when there are fewer people, you can also see chamois and deer here from time to time. Virtually at the same height, the path now continues in a leisurely manner into the next section of the valley, the Im Tellin, after which the next hamlet of Tellistafel is also named. Again here the Petersgrat can be seen high above. The trail now continues moderately steeply down towards Blatten where the hike ends.
The 1:25,000 scale hiking map is your perfect companion for an unforgettable day's hiking in the Lötschental. Available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop
Update: November 02, 2021
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein, past the villages of Ferden, Kippel, Wiler and Blatten to the Fafleralp car park.
ParkingYou can park your car in the Fafleralp car park (not free).
32T 412571 5142978
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view