In Selden start the first stage of the hike with the climb to the Lötschenpass, the history-steeped pass from the Bernese Oberland into the Valais. As it culminates at 2,690 m above sea level, crossing the Lötschenpass takes a great deal of stamina, but the view across the mountains around the Lötschental and the Kandertal valleys is all the more magnificent for it. The view across to the mighty Bietschhorn and beyond the Rhone valley to the Mischabel range is particularly breathtaking.
1st stage: Selden/Gasterental - Lötschenpass
2nd stage: Lötschenpass - Lauchernalp - Fafleralp
The 1: 25,000 scale hiking map is your perfect companion for an unforgettable day's hiking in the Lötschental. Available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop
Rest StopLötschenpass Hut
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
Tips, hints and links
Lötschenpass Hut - Come to the first “Minergie” mountain hut in the Alps, savour the view across the Valais peaks, let the hut team to pamper you, discover nature all around the lodge, stay in spacious dormitory rooms, gaze at the stars in the suites - and come back again.
More information at: Tel. +41 (0)27 939 19 81 www.loetschenpass.ch
Getting thereDrive as far as Kandersteg railway station. Park your car there. A bus runs from Kandersteg railway station into the Gasterental valley and to Selden (reservations are essential: Tel. +41 (0)33 671 11 729). The bus runs regularily between June and September (Please inform yourself before your trip).
ParkingYou can park your car at the Kandersteg railway station car park (not free).
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)