A contemplative circular hike in Wiler along the Tenn Path of the Cross.
Distance 4 km
This circular hike starts at the parish church in Wiler. A chapel was built on this site in 1950, which was dedicated as the parish church seven years later. The patron of the church is the Queen of Peace (Regina Pacis), who is painted as the altar image by the artist Richard Seewald. The anniversary of the church is every year on the third Sunday in August. The route continues in an easterly direction from the parish church through the older part of the village to the Milibach stream. At the crossroads, we turn right and down to Talstrasse leading to Blatten and to the Milibach Shrine. This shrine was erected in memory of a young man who lost his life in a car accident in 1986. Cross the Talstrasse and head for the Gsteinät sports facilities and then continue to Tännerstäg, turn left and climb up to the Talstrasse. This is the start of the Tenn Path of the Cross. The Path of the Cross was erected in 2003 by the pensioners of Wiler and depicts the Via Dolorossa over 14 shrines. The "Maria am Weg" (Our Lady of the Path) Shrine is situated on the Bergstrasse leading to the Lauchernalp. The shrine was built in 1974 by the Christian Men's Association and is intended to act as a signpost to everyone. The route then conveniently leads back to the church in Wiler along the Bergstrasse.
Order a free copy of the "Walking and Pilgrimages" brochure from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office or online at www.loetschental.ch/prospekte
Update: July 14, 2021
- Plan your tour carefully
- Ensure that you have a full set of appropriate equipment
- Never embark on a tour alone
- Inform friends, relatives, the mountain hut supervisor or the hotel porter of your proposed tour. Report back when you arrive at your destination.
- Keep a constant eye on weather developments
- Adhere to the principle: if in doubt, turn back!
Tips and hintsThe 1:25,000 scale hiking map is your perfect companion for an unforgettable day's hiking in the Lötschental. Available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein, past the villages of Ferden and Kippel as far as Wiler to the valley cable car station.
ParkingYou can park your car in the outdoor car park or in the indoor car park beside the cable car valley station (not free).
32T 406022 5139347
Basic Equipment for Pilgrim Walks
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Religious objects and material as required
Things to Bring if Staying in a Hostel
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Pilgrim ID card
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view