Follow the marked trail from "Lauchernalp, Holz" mountain station towards Lauchernalp-Stafel as far as Lauchernalp Chapel which offers a magnificent view over the Lötschental). Continue in a westerly direction past Berghaus Restaurant up to the three-seater chairlift. Take the winter hiking trail towards Hockenalp. Head left at Hockenalp Chapel and keep going until you see the last Alpine huts before getting back to your starting point at Lauchernalp - Holz mountain station.
Highlights on this tour include:
- Viewpoint at the Lauchernalp Chapel (2,110 m above sea level) across the entire Lötschental valley and the Lauchernalp ski arena
- Lauchernalp Chapel and Hockenalp Chapel
- Panoramic view and unspoilt nature
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide. Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
Tips, hints and links
More information about the destination:
Snowshoe Map of the Lötschental 1:50,000 - Region covered: Lötschental, Leukerbad, Kandertal, Adelboden, Lenk, Entschligetal (Bernese Oberland / Valais). Available from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office in Wiler or online at www.loetschental.ch/webshop
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein, past the villages of Ferden and Kippel as far as Wiler to the valley cable car station. Take the cable car up to the Lauchernalp.
ParkingYou can park your car in the outdoor car park or in the indoor car park beside the cable car valley station (not free).
- Good, waterproof footwear
- hiking poles
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)
- Sporthaus Lauchernalp Gmbh: email@example.com, Tel. +41 (0)27 939 15 84, www.sporthaus-lauchern.ch