Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Valais/Wallis Promotion accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals. Do not leave any waste in nature.
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at altitude. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan hike carefully: take into consideration fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide. Take note of the warning signs that point out the constant danger, especially the danger of avalanches.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible, avoid going alone.
Tips, hints and links
More information about the destination:
Order a free copy of the "Cross-country Ski Runs and Winter Hiking Routes" brochure from the Lötschental Tourist Information Office or online at www.loetschental.ch/prospekte
Getting thereDrive into the Lötschental from Goppenstein, past the villages of Ferden and Kippel as far as Wiler to the valley cable car station. Take the cable car up to the Lauchernalp, then continue on a 6-seater or 3-seater chairlift to the Gandegg mountain station and then take the Gletscherbahn gondola to the Hockenhorngrat.
ParkingYou can park your car in the outdoor car park or in the indoor car park beside the cable car valley station (not free).
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water, picnic
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, top right, to download)