Montemerano sits on a hill surrounded by a forest of olive trees. The town flourished in the second half of the 10th century when the province’s residents began moving inland to escape malaria and the endless barbarian invasions that plagued the coastline. Montemerano was governed by a democratic institution until 1272, when it fell into the hands of the Aldobrandeschi. In the second half of the 13th century, it passed to the Baschi, the feudal family that funded its expansion. At the end of the 14th century, the Sienese Republic forced the Baschi to retreat. In 1556, it became part of the Medici’s vast rule, before the Hasburg Lorraine assigned Montemerano to the Municipality of Manciano, where it remains today.