The starting point is the spacious Market Square surrounded by half-timbered houses dating from the 15th and 16th centuries. It is considered one of the loveliest in the whole of southern Germany and is the focal point of the historic city centre. This space, trapezoidal rather than square, was where the people gathered, justice was administered, tournaments and fairs took place and the cattle and fruit markets were held. Today it is a traffic-calmed zone with pleasant restaurants and cafés, the town's parlour.
You are standing by the Rathaus (Town Hall, 9 Marktplatz). This was built in 1440, extended in 1562 and rebuilt in 1907/08. Until the mid-1800s, bakers and butchers sold their wares in the open area at ground level. Then this area was used as a fruit market until 1939. Anteroom (16th century), Council Chamber (beginning of the 20th century), arcade with coats-of-arms (1907/08).
The second stop is the Altes Oberamt (1 Marktplatz). Half-timbered building (mid-15th century). "Zum Goldenen Kreuz" inn (1568). From 1812–1938, office of the senior district administrator. Modern sign with the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Württemberg.
The next stop is the Ehemaliges Hotel zur Post (Former Post Hotel) at 18 Marktplatz. Built in 1830 on the site of the Lamb Inn. It was a coaching inn until 1904 and then the Hotel Post until 1917. Since 1937 it has housed a bank. Extended several times to include neighbouring buildings.
The Gasthof Fass is at 7 Wilhelmstraße. This inn was built in 1725 on the site of two houses. The gateway for horse-drawn vehicles with stables was converted in recent times. Ornate wrought-iron sign.
The next stop is the Amandus-Jäger-Haus (29 Lange Straße). Built in the 15th century and thought to be owned at one time by the ducal family or by a monastery. Home from 1640 of the Duke's linen factor and trader Amandus Jäger (1589–1665) and then a tradesman's house. Renovated 1985–88.
Follow Lange Straße towards Wilhelmsplatz (Oberer-Tor-Platz). The Oberes Tor or Grafenecker Tor (Upper Gate) was built with a tower and a customs house and was the most important point of entry into the town. The gateway was demolished along with the adjacent wall in 1835 and the tower was pulled down in 1840/41.
The Ehemalige Brauerei (former brewery) is at 1 Wilhelmsplatz. After the law forbidding breweries was repealed in 1825, seven breweries were established in Urach. The largest was founded in 1840, later becoming the "Dampfbrauerei F. Wurster" (F. Wurster's steam brewery", up to 1920), which stood together with its inn on Oberes-Tor-Platz, which was renamed Wilhelmsplatz in 1901.
We now pass through the Webervorstadt (Weavers' quarter) at 1-36 Weberbleiche. In 1599 Duke Friedrich I of Württemberg had four rows of houses, 29 in all, built for weavers on the site of the field where they bleached their cloth. They were designed by Heinrich Schickhardt. The quarter was protected by a gate, ditches and four round towers.
At 12 Weberbleiche we find the Dicker Turm (Big Tower) standing amid a row of houses in the weavers' quarter. The tower served to protect the quarter from 1600, together with the "Weaver's Moat" (now filled in).
Our next stop is the Diebsturm (Thieves' Tower, 30 Im Greuth). The tower of the prison formed part of the town walls until 1840, after which it was partially demolished along with them. The remaining stub was converted and used as the prison for the area (until 1903).
The Festhalle (Festival Hall) is at 6 Neuffener Straße. This was built in 1913–14 in art nouveau style as a "sports and festival hall" on the edge of the Turngarten, an open space created in 1872/73, by the master municipal builder Albert Vatter.
We now turn into Pfählerstraße and come to the Zeughausturm (Armoury Tower, 28 Pfählerstraße). This was a corner tower of the mediaeval fortifications (15th century). The added wings (arsenal/armoury, later the ducal forestry administration office) were demolished in 1914 / 1959.
After the green space on our right (called the "Grünes Herz" - Green Heart), we turn left into Seubertstraße and come to our final stop, the Gütersteiner Hof (1 Neue Straße). This housed the town offices for the Carthusian monastery at Güterstein during the Middle Ages. After the reformation (1534), it became the offices of the regional directorate (1806), of the administrator for the "Departement de l’Alp" (1810–1818) and then of the forestry department until 1938.
We now follow the Neue Straße back to the Market Square, our starting point, where we can take the opportunity for some refreshment in one of the cafés in the town centre.