Starting point of the Berggeist-Rodelbahn is the Berggeisthütte. It lies directly on the "Max Franz" ski slope in the middle of the Weißbriach ski area. The toboggan run is over 3 km long and leads over a prepared forest track to Weißbriach. The toboggan run is illuminated in the evening.
A leisurely walk uphill increases the anticipation of the descent.
Those who want to save their strength can use the "Hüttentaxi". This brings guests to the hut for a fee and advance reservation.
Further information about the taxi service and sledge rental is available at the tourist office on +43 4286 219 or at the Hotel Löffele on +43 4286 228
Getting thereFrom the north (D, NL, DK):
Tauernautobahn - junction Spittal - direction Lienz - Greifenburg - over the Kreuzberg - WeissbriachSalzburg - Badgastein (rail loading - Tauern lock) - Mallnitz - Möll bridge - Greifenburg - over the Kreuzberg - Weissbriach
From the West (CH, F):
Felbertauern - Mittersill - Lienz - Greifenburg - over the Kreuzberg - Weissbriach
From the south (I, SLO):
Udine - departure Hermagor/Gailtal - Hermagor - WeissbriachKarawanken motorway - Villach junction - direction Italy - exit Hermagor/Gailtal - Hermagor - Weissbriach
From the East (SLO, HR):
Klagenfurt - Villach - departure Hermagor/Gailtal - Hermagor - Weissbriach
ParkingParking spaces are available at the starting point!
EquipmentToboggan rental: at the Berggeisthütte (Thursday to Sunday from 16:00), Tel. +43 (0) 4286 228; rental fee: € 6,-.
Basic Equipment for Sledding
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Sledding
- Sled with tow strap
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons are useful on ascent
- Ski Helmet recommended when sledding through heavily wooded areas
- Ski goggles if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.