The cars have just left the San Bernardino tunnel and roar downhill towards Mesocco. At first the cross-country track follows the banks of the dammed up Moesa river before passing underneath the A 13 highway. Then the track enters the fairy-tale "Bosch de San Remo“ and the street noise fades far away. After a bend in the protected pine forest, which surrounds the small resort of San Bernardino, it leads slightly downhill to the lake of Lago d’Isola.
Winding along its west bank the track traverses the dam, a most impressive part of the trail, from where wonderful views of Lago Isola and the unique mountain landscape can be enjoyed. The A 13 is crossed once again via a wooden bridge. After a loop of about half a kilometer, the trail winds along the edge of the forest and finally through the woods and back to the village.
With nearly 30 km of track, this well prepared cross-country ski trail lead mainly through lush pine forest, typical for the southern slope of the Alps; it characterizes the village of San Bernardino and radiates deep calm. On top of it, a majestic circle of mountain peaks frame this beautiful plateau at the foot of the pass bearing the same name as the village.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cross-country skiing gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Cross-country skis
- Cross-country ski bindings
- Cross-country boots
- Cross-country poles
- Waxes if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.