A tough start with quite a steep ascent awaits the cross-country skier at the southern end of San Bernardino. The trail winds up to the Alp de Pian Doss mostly through a fairy-tale forest. Always within view: the striking pyramid of Piz Uccello, the landmark of San Bernardino.
From the alpine pasture, a slight up and down track leads to the shores of Lake Doss. Dreamlike, this small, postglacial moor lake lies nestled in a peat hollow, surrounded by a sparsely-treed mountain forest. It is almost unbelievable that in the immediate vicinity of the heavily travelled north-south axis, peace and quiet reign so profoundly; and keeping quiet is worthwhile: for with some patience and a stroke of good luck, wild animals can be observed, especially from February onwards, protected from snow storms and spoiled by the sun they spend the winter here. A unique experience, typical of the southern Alpine region.
From the lake you can reach the district of Fornas, south of the village, in a few minutes. In the cozy bar, tired legs can relax and cold, clammy fingers can be warmed with a hot drink. It all comes with a shot of Italianità.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cross-country skiing gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Cross-country skis
- Cross-country ski bindings
- Cross-country boots
- Cross-country poles
- Waxes if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.