From Gurlaina on the right side of the valley opposite Scuol to the right along a narrow path, through the wild Clemgia gorge towards Plan da Funtanas, then along the road past the entrance to the National Park in Mingèr to S-charl (post office van can also take you this far).
The valley, which is narrow and wild to this point, splits into three valleys and becomes noticeably more welcoming. Meadows full of flowers frame the pretty village.
From S-charl heading into the valley, we stay beside the main creek. Pine forests mixed with larches dominate both mountain ridges. After the first creek crossing at Pt. 2018, the path rises more steeply to Alp Praditschöl (Pt. 2131), and then leads to Alp Astras (Pt. 2135). Opposite us, on the right side of the valley, extend the mighty trees of the primitive pine forest of Tamangur, the highest closed pine forest in Europe. In the canopy particularly, fierce struggles are waged beside the cadaverous, pale trunks of fallen tree giants, which acts as sheltered nurseries for delicate new shoots (the excursion to God da Tamangur above Pt. 2018 and Tamangur Dadoura, Pt. 2127, to Alp Tamangur Dadaint – or the other way around – does not take much time).
To get to Pass dal Fuorn, climb Alp Astras (Pt. 2135) heading southwest to Funtana da S-charl (Pt. 2393). At over 2400 metres, the rare Alpine orchid (chamorchis alpina) with its small blue-green blossoms grows here amid edelweiss and lobelia, as does the equally rare coriander-leafed “jewel flower” (callianthemum coriandrifolium) and saxifrage (saxifraga androsacea). The descent initially leads towards Alp da Munt, but later passes this, heading north to the plateaus of Plan da l'Aua. At Pt. 2152 you take a path on the right that leads through the forest to the pass of Süsom Givè, staying at the same altitude.
Inns en route: S-charl: Alvetern (open end of May – end of October) Tel. +41 (0)81 864 14 03, Crusch Alba Tel. +41 (0)81 864 14 05, Mayor Tel. +41 (0)81 864 14 12. In Süsom Givè: Tel. +41 (0)81 858 51 82 (open Easter – end of October).
Best time of year
Tips, hints and links
S-charl: S-charl was once inhabited all-year round; today it is a summer village. The Roman church dating from the 11th or 12th century was renovated repeatedly. It fits in charmingly with the village. The broad, sturdy miner's house from 1673 completes the spacious, pretty village square pleasantly. S-charl was the site of vigorous mining between 1370 and 1828. Even today, the partially collapsed tunnels and ruins at the northwest entrance to the village serve as a reminder of that era. The main product was silver-containing galenite, sphalerite and brown iron ore. The main building of the time has been restored by experts and now houses a mining museum.
Scuol – S-charl – Süsom Givè
Getting there: By PostBus to Ramosch, posta.
Getting back: By PostBus from Martina, posta.
Arrival by train, car, foot or bike
This functionality is only avaliable for members of the outdooractive plattform.
Back to edit
Set point on map (Click on Map)
The point is movable directly on the map
Please enter a title.
Please type a description text under "current condition".
Current conditions nearby
No current conditions found in the area.
FitnessCalculate calorie consumption
Show elevation profile
Hide elevation profile
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.