Gösser and Lärchsattel
Oststeiermark Tourismus Verified partner Explorers Choice
View from the GössersattelPhoto: Axel Dobrowolny, Oststeiermark Tourismus
Circular hike with starting point at the Dürntalwirt inn to the Gössersattel with connection to the Lärchsattel. Fantastic views guaranteed.
On the circular hike on the Gösser- und Lärchsattel, every nature lover gets their money's worth due to the dreamlike views. Only a few minutes by car from Weiz, the Gösser- und Lärchsattel is perfect for short hikes with the whole family. You start at the Dürntalwirt inn and after a few minutes you enter the first section of forest.
The region is known for its cave systems. In particular, the Katerloch and the Grasslhöhle, which our trail passes, are enjoyed by numerous guests and are a source of amazement. The Naas Cave Trail, whose signs we encounter several times on our tour, connects these cave systems. The view along the tour in the direction of the Almenland Nature Park as well as the hilly landscape of Eastern Styria and the city of Weiz is beautiful.
- For refreshments you can stop at the Dürntalwirt Inn before or after the hike.
- The nearby caves "Grasslhöhle" and "Katerloch" are definitely worth a visit!
Rest stopsGasthof-Pension Dürntalwirt Graf-Reisinger ***
Important phone numbers:
- Fire department: 122
- Police: 133
- Rescue service: 144
- European emergency call: 112
Rules of conduct "Safe handling of grazing livestock”
The route description presented has been prepared to the best of our knowledge and belief.
It is based on interpretations of hiking maps and personal experiences of hikers and mountain sports enthusiasts.
All descriptions are not to be regarded as official hiking guides, the TV Region Weiz assumes no liability for the descriptions, route planning and tours and it is therefore expressly recommended to use additional official map material from quality manufacturers, the Alpine Club, Friends of Nature and other mountain sports institutions for individual route planning.
Please remember that hiking, walking, climbing and mountaineering are outdoor sports that are influenced by the different individual physical conditions, the personal condition of the day, the weather as well as the seasonal ground conditions and many other general conditions and therefore careful route planning tailored to the respective situation is necessary for preparation.
We wish you an accident-free and eventful tour.
Tips and hints
Eastern Styria Tourist Board | Office Weiz
Main square 18
'Tel: +43 3172 2319 660
- We start our route at the Dürntalwirt inn.
- First, we follow the signposts in the direction of the Naas Cave Trail.
- When we reach the Grasslhöhle cave, we follow trail no. 18 in the direction of Gösser.
- Always following the Austrian flags, we come to a rise with a seat after the first ascent.
- After a short rest, we follow the signs to the left towards Gösser.
- Soon we reach the highest point of the Gösser.
- We follow the markings on the descent and walk along a forest road towards the Lärchsattel.
- Turn left towards the Lärchsattel and follow the forest road.
- Soon we come to a junction where we keep to the right to go up to the Lärchsattel.
- A short detour at the summit cross is definitely worth it.
- Back on the forest road, we make a short stop at the meadow with a beautiful view of Weiz.
- We follow the path back to the forest road.
- Here we keep to the right and return to the path to our starting point.
Timetables and travel information can be found directly at:
The district capital of Weiz is located in Eastern Styria.
From Graz via the main road: Take Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Kai and Wickenburggasse to Jahngasse / B67a. Follow the road on the B72 to Weiz and take the exit towards Weiz-West.
From Weiz you must then drive via Weizer Hauptplatz in the direction of Mortantsch. Then keep going in the direction of Leska and follow the road for about another 5 km to Dürntalwirt Inn.
Parking at the Dürntalwirt Inn.
Author’s map recommendations
Folder "Naaser Höhlenweg" mit Skizze des Wanderwegenetzes, Höhenprofil, Informationen zum Wegenetz und Tipps zur Einkehr.
- Before starting the hike, check the possibilities for refreshments, including opening times, or pack appropriate food.
- A good pair of hiking boots is a good companion and should never be missing.
- Emergency equipment (blister plasters!) belongs in every rucksack.
- It is always advisable to dress according to the "onion system".
- Don't forget rain gear, sunglasses and a water bottle, as well as a hiking map, pocket knife and headlamp.
- 3 Waypoints
- 3 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others