This leisurely hike starts in St. Georgen, which has won the title of Most Beautiful Flower Village in Styria several times, and heads up the world championship mountain of Kreischberg.
Distance 23.8 km
Hike on the Kreischberg from St. Lorenzen, traversing logging roads and alpine meadows. After a short stretch in the Lorenzergraben, the route climbs up towards the Kreischberg. There are some wonderful views of the entire town and valley here. Having walked to the Rieglerhütte (mountain hut), the ski resort unfolds before you in all its glory ‒ a popular place in winter for skiers and snowboarders alike. It is a good idea, and not just for families, to complete the first steep part of the ascent by taking the gondola lift and starting the hike from there. If accompanied by children, you should definitely take a detour to Dinowald to visit its primeval monsters. DiscGolf too offers sporting amusement for the whole family. After an eventful hike, you can enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the down-to-earth mountain huts and guest houses before heading down into the valley on foot or by gondola lift.
Kreischberg gondola times, Dinowald and DiscGolf: www.kreischberg.at
AuthorTourismusverband Region Murau
Update: September 07, 2018
- Plan your tours carefully & stay flexible.
- Bring the right equipment.
- Check current weather information.Cancel your trip in the event of poor weather.
- If there is an accident, remain calm.Emergency mountain rescue number: 140
- Take your rubbish with you.
- Act calmly when encountering animals on the mountain pastures (alps).
- Always keep dogs on a lead.
Tips and hints
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Sturdy footwear with high-grip soles, protection against the rain, the cold and the sun, enough drink, hiking maps, emergency equipment (dressings, blister pads, etc.)
- Packing your rucksack properly makes things much easier: pack heavy items first. Your water bottle should always be stored within reach in a side pocket. Items used often, such as sun glasses, camera, maps, etc., go on top.
- 9 Waypoints
- 9 Waypoints
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view