The hiking tour takes us up above the historical old town of Murau to one of the most beautiful panoramic mountains in the Nockberge. Before the real ascent begins, there is a short detour to the delightfully idyllic Leonharditeich (pond) and Leonhardikirche (St. Leonhard Church), situated above the River Murau. The hiking trail towards the Frauenalpe begins its climb from the district of Schlatting not far from Murau train station. It runs mainly through forest, sometimes crossing the access road to the Frauenalpe, until reaching the Alpengasthof Krische (an alpine guest house) and the Murauerhütte (mountain hut), where we tackle the onward ascent over mountain pastures towards the summit. Here we find ourselves largely on the property of the princely family of Schwarzenberg, whose history has been intertwined with Murau for over 400 years.Discover the shorter variant up to the Frauenalpe summit, which is also suitable for families with children (starting from the Murauerhütte at 1,583m) here.
- Plan your tours carefully & stay flexible.
- Bring the right equipment.
- Check current weather information.
- Cancel your trip in the event of poor weather.
- If there is an accident, remain calm.Emergency mountain rescue number: 140
- Take your rubbish with you.
- Act calmly when encountering animals on the mountain pastures (alps).
- Always keep dogs on a lead.
Tips and hints
- Murauerhütte: www.murauerhuette.at, Tel. +43 664 512 08 92
- Hotel Gasthof Krische: www.frauenalpe.com, Tel. +43 3532 2320
- Öffentliche Parkplätze nähe Stadtpark - Info-Pavillon
- Alternativ: Auffahrt bis zur Frauenalpe, Parkplätze bei der Murauerhütte
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Sturdy footwear with high-grip soles, protection against the rain, the cold and the sun, enough drink, hiking maps, emergency equipment (dressings, blister pads, etc.)
- Packing your rucksack properly makes things much easier: pack heavy items first. Your water bottle should always be stored within reach in a side pocket. Items used often, such as sun glasses, camera, maps, etc., go on top.
- 9 Waypoints
- 9 Waypoints