An easy tour starting at 1,583m at the Murauerhütte (mountain hut). It is an ideal hike for families, offering magnificent views over mountain pastures to the summit of the Frauenalpe.
Distance 6.3 km
This is a great beginner's tour on which you can drive up the Frauenalpe to the Murauerhütte from Murau, via Schlatting. You will be rewarded by pure alpine pastures and mountain vistas after just a short time walking. Depending on your level of fitness, you can reach the summit of Murau's local mountain in approx. 1.5 hours ‒ where you can enjoy an impressive sweeping view of the Niedere Tauern, the Gurktaler Alpen and, weather permitting, even as far as the Karawanken. The Apollonia Chapel and the panorama information panel at the summit are particularly worth a look. In December 2017, the summit cross on the Frauenalpe was destroyed by a storm. A new cross was erected by the Alpine Association just before Christmas.Every year on the first Sunday in August, the Almsonntag celebration takes place on the summit. It is a chance for locals and guests to embark on a pilgrimage to the Frauenalpe in order to attend mass there, with music provided by the Music Association.
The panorama panel at the summit describes the surrounding mountains.
AuthorTourismusverband Region Murau
Update: May 23, 2018
- Plan your tours carefully & stay flexible.
- Bring the right equipment.
- Check current weather information.
- Cancel your trip in the event of poor weather.If there is an accident, remain calm.
- Emergency mountain rescue number: 140
- Take your rubbish with you.
- Act calmly when encountering animals on the mountain pastures (alps).
- Always keep dogs on a lead.
Tips and hints
Hotel Gasthof Krische: www.frauenalpe.com
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Sturdy footwear with high-grip soles, protection against the rain, the cold and the sun, enough drink, hiking maps, emergency equipment (dressings, blister pads, etc.)
- Packing your rucksack properly makes things much easier: pack heavy items first. Your water bottle should always be stored within reach in a side pocket. Items used often, such as sun glasses, camera, maps, etc., go on top.
- 5 Waypoints
- 5 Waypoints
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view