From the Kreischberghalle (also a World of Wood site), this hike threads up the world championship mountain of Kreischberg on logging roads. Our first milestone is the halfway station for the 6-seater gondola lift, which runs up from the valley to an altitude of 1,900m. The hike then continues over meadows and paths used mainly as ski slopes in the winter. The Kreischberg is a well-known venue for numerous international ski and snowboarding competitions.
For families, there is a simpler version of the tour: you can conquer the first, steep ascent in leisurely fashion by gondola lift and start your hike at the tree line. Enjoy the local alpine flora and marvel at the breathtaking panoramic views of the Tauern and Nockberge! Traditional mountain huts and guest houses exuding a relaxed atmosphere make the perfect places to stop for refreshment.
Once you have reached the summit of the Kreischberg, you can hike back via the Esebeckhütte (mountain hut) and tackle the descent on foot or by gondola lift.
Take a ride on the Kreischberg Gondola
Gondola operating times: www.kreischberg.at
Grillboden am Kreischberg
- Plan your tours carefully & stay flexible.
- Bring the right equipment.
- Check current weather information.
- Cancel your trip in the event of poor weather.
- If there is an accident, remain calm.
- Emergency mountain rescue number: 140
- Take your rubbish with you.
- Act calmly when encountering animals on the mountain pastures (alps).
- Always keep dogs on a lead.
Tips and hints
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Sturdy footwear with high-grip soles, protection against the rain, the cold and the sun, enough drink, hiking maps, emergency equipment (dressings, blister pads, etc.)
- Packing your rucksack properly makes things much easier: pack heavy items first. Your water bottle should always be stored within reach in a side pocket. Items used often, such as sun glasses, camera, maps, etc., go on top.
- 9 Waypoints
- 9 Waypoints