A 2-day-tour via the Hochwurzen High Trail into the midst of the Schladminger Tauern. Numerous tarns and summits lie along the way, and you make a loop around the limestone summits of Steirische and Lungauer Kalkspitze. The route is a mountain trail across alpine pastures with some rocky sections and high pastures. Around the Kalkspitzen summits limestone with dolines is the main characteristic of the scenery. With Hochwurzenhütte, Ignaz-Mattis-Hütte, Giglachseehütte, Oberhütte, and Ursprungalm there are several refreshment stops inviting you for a rest and to have a drink or a meal.
- Rossfeld - a grassy ridge with a wooden sculpture on its summit
- Hochwurzen High Trail with the summits of Guschen, Hochfeld and Schiedeck
- Klammsee and Brettersee tarns, Giglachseen Lakes and Oberhüttensee tarn
- Steirische & Lungauer Kalkspitze summits
- Ursprungalm cirque with its picturesque alp scenery
For the overnight stay we recommend a reservation at one of the chalets:
- Giglachseehütte: +43 664 90 88 188
- Ignaz-Mattis-Hütte chalet: +43 664 42 33 823
Be careful of pathway at Brotrindl - lose & crumgling rocks and soil. Sturdy shoes. Steady footing. Surefootedness, a head for heights and alpine experience required!
Changes in weather patterns, quick falls in temperature, thunderstorms, wind, fog and snow are some of the dangers that can be encountered on a hiking tour. Hosts of alpine huts and mountain refuges have a lot of experience in the mountains and can give good advice about weather and the trails. Poor equipment, overestimation of one's own capabilities, carelessness, poor personal constitution and/or wrong judgement can lead to critical situations. In case of thunderstorms: avoid summits, ridges and steel ropes.
GPS data and orienteering
Available GPS data - just like hiking maps - is only a guidance for orientation and can never depict a trail exactly with all its details. Especially at dangerous spots it is essential to judge on site how to proceed.
In an emergency please call:
- 140 - for Alpine emergencies (all over Austria)
- 112 - European GSM emergency number
Tips and hints
Tourist information: www.schladming.com
Information about bus schedules: www.planaibus.at
Information about cable-car hours: www.planai.at
360° drone images
Get yourself an overview with our 360° drone images:
- Hochwurzen, Rossfeld & Guschen: https://vonoben.schladming-dachstein.at/sommer/index.php?S=305
- Hochfeld and Schiedeck: https://vonoben.schladming-dachstein.at/sommer/index.php?S=306
- View over Giglachkar cirque: https://vonoben.schladming-dachstein.at/sommer/index.php?S=307
- Giglachseen and Kalkspitzen summits: https://vonoben.schladming-dachstein.at/sommer/index.php?S=308
- Lower Giglachsee Lake and Vetternkar cirque: https://vonoben.schladming-dachstein.at/sommer/index.php?S=309
By roadFrom Schladming into the direction of Rohrmoos, at the roundabout Rohrmoos straight ahead to the valley terminal of Gipfelbahn Hochwurzen cable car.
ParkingParking is available at the valley terminal of Hochwurzen cable car.
Author’s map recommendations
A well-packed backpack is helpful and especially when touring Alpine terrain a tuque, gloves, a windproof jacket and pants are standard equipment. Good, waterproof shoes, sun glasses, sun cream and sufficient beverages are essential too. Torch light, a map of the area, knie and a small first-aid kit should also be in the backpack.
For the night please bring a sleeping bag with you, which is required on the huts.
Weather at the route's trailhead
- 26 Waypoints
- 26 Waypoints