Apfelland & Pöllauertal Tour
Oststeiermark – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing Weiz Verified partner Explorers Choice
Pöllauer Tal Nature Park (c) Styria Tourism ikarus.ccPhoto: Oststeiermark – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing Weiz
This long tour takes us through the Apfelland, the Pöllauer Tal Nature Park and the thermal region.
In addition to a few climbs and descents, this circular tour also offers numerous excursion destinations and two thermal spas for variety. With the route through the Styrian Apfelland, the Pöllauer Tal Nature Park as the home of the stag pear and the 2-spa region of Bad Waltersdorf, this circular route is certainly one of the most beautiful racing bike tours in eastern Austria.
Sights and culinary stops along the tour - from the apple to the stag pear, from the Kulmkeltendorf to Pöllau Castle.
Rest stopsFlußbad und Familien-Erlebnisbad St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Obsthof Retter, GenussCard Partner
Heiltherme Bad Waltersdorf
Restaurant - Café - Bar Locker & Légere
Buschenschank Ziagl's Laube - Familie Schweighofer
Region Gleisdorf | Cafè Apfelschlössl
Café Bäckerei Felber
Please pay attention to certain rules of conduct when riding a racing bike:
- Riding responsibly at a controlled speed and at half speed, especially on bends, creates safety, as obstacles such as stones, branches, path damage are possible at any time.
- Hikers and pedestrians please have priority and overtaking should be done considerately at walking pace.
- Good tour planning also takes into account the difficulty of the route and your own ability.
- Fire brigade: 122
- Police: 133
- Rescue: 144
- Euro emergency number: 112
Tips and hints
Eastern Styria Tourist Board | Office St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Lower Main Street 181
8181 St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Tel. +43 664 2353414
Further information on the subject of racing bikes can be found here.
More than 120 excursion destinations and enjoyment stations free of charge with the GenussCard.
- From the main square in St. Ruprecht an der Raab, we first cycle along the Raabtalradweg (Raab Valley Cycle Path) to Unterfladnitz, where we leave it at the Scharler carpentry workshop and continue straight ahead through the Mühlwald forest to Etzersdorf.
- Here we keep to the right and after 500 m leave the L 360 immediately on the left. Here a first short climb up the Wetzelberg awaits us, where the next kilometres take us on a partly winding ride past apple orchards and fruit farms to Puch bei Weiz.
- Here in Austria's largest apple-growing community we also meet the Styrian Apple Road, one of the most beautiful themed roads in Styria.
- We leave Puch bei Weiz via a climb and turn right onto Kulmstraße a few metres after the fire station. Follow this road to the Ackerwirt where we turn left and continue uphill towards Kulm.
- In a left-hand bend we turn diagonally right - from here the rapid descent begins with some serpentines to the Stubenbergsee. After this mountain stage, it is worth cooling off in one of the largest bathing lakes in Styria.
- When we reach the Stubenbergsee, we keep left on the L 409 and after about 400 m turn right again into the village of Stubenberg.
- From here follows the second mountain stage, which takes us to the highest point of the tour at 1,027 m above sea level to the pass crossing at Rabenwald into the Pöllauer Tal.
- Where there is an ascent, there is also a descent - this takes us right into the heart of the Pöllauer Tal Nature Park - to Pöllau. A stop here is an absolute must, because the historic market town of Pöllau with its beautiful park, its castle and the parish church, which is also called the "Styrian St Peter's Cathedral", are truly worth seeing.
- We leave Pöllau and cycle along the L 406 in a south-easterly direction until we reach a roundabout, where we take the first exit to get to Kaindorf bei Hartberg via Dienersdorf. In Kaindorf we turn right and at the roundabout after about 400 m take the third exit towards Bad Waltersdorf.
- After about 10 km, we pass the H2O Therme Sebersdorf and immediately enter the spa town with its thermal spa Bad Waltersdorf. Here we turn right, drive under the motorway and immediately turn right again.
- Now we follow the L 436 and come to Großsteinbach via Großhartmannsdorf, where we keep to the right. Continue straight on to the next village Kroisbach an der Feistritz, where we turn left to get to Hirnsdorf via Gersdorf an der Feistritz and Hartensdorf.
- Here we cycle to the left and after about 1 km turn right into the wine-growing area of the East Styrian Roman Wine Route around Romanschachen. Where there is wine, there are of course also mountains, and so we once again expect small ascents and descents, past numerous Buschenschänken.
- About 2 km after Romanschachen we turn left to continue in a 180 degree right-hand loop at the next small settlement. The route continues in a few bends via Reichendorf to Preßguts.
- Here we cross the L 360 to cycle in a final climb via Prebuch and Kühwiesen to Wollsdorf. Here we turn right and, with St. Ruprecht an der Raab already in sight, cycle back along the Raabtalradweg to the starting and end point of the circular tour.
St. Ruprecht an der Raab is easily accessible by train and has its own railway station. To Graz main station - direction Gleisdorf - change - S-Bahn to Weiz. By bike you reach the centre in 2 min: Go straight ahead through the avenue (Bahnhofstraße) until you reach the crossroads. Turn right there and follow Hauptstraße towards Hauptplatz.
Timetables and travel information can be found directly at:
The market town of St.Ruprecht an der Raab is located in Eastern Styria and is very easy to reach via the A2 motorway from Vienna (approx. 2 hours) and Graz (approx. 30 min.).
Arrival from Vienna and from Graz: On the A2 from Vienna and from Graz, take motorway exit 161 / Gleisdorf West in the direction of B54/B64. Follow the B65 / Gleisdorf federal road until you reach the B54 / Wechselbundesstraße. At the roundabout take the second exit to the B64 / Rechberg-Bundesstraße. After about 6 km turn left to St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Open map here.
There are several parking spaces available on the main square in St. Ruprecht an der Raab. Alternatively, about 150 m away, past the Hotel Locker & Légere and the Marktheurigen Strobl, there are numerous parking spaces at the large park in the middle of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Book recommendation by the author
You can find more road bike tours here.
A helmet and a technically perfect road bike will make your tour a pleasure.
- 27 Waypoints
- 27 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others