Oststeiermark – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing Weiz Verified partner Explorers Choice
Lake Stubenberg (c) Styria Tourism Popp-HacknerPhoto: Oststeiermark – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing Weiz
Beautiful circular tour, starting from St. Ruprecht an der Raab, through Austria's largest apple-growing region with a crisp mountain climb in the Kulm area.
The tour, starting from St. Ruprecht an der Raab, through the apple country with its enchanting garden landscapes also takes us to Lake Stubenberg, the largest and warmest bathing lake in Styria, which is a welcome opportunity to cool off. Animal and culture lovers will get their money's worth at the animal world and Herberstein Castle, which is also on the tour.
Enjoy the largest apple-growing area in Austria and take a short break at Lake Stubenberg. You should also definitely stop at a Buschenschank!
Rest stopsRestaurant - Café - Bar Locker & Légere
Boutique-Hotel "Erla" Seerestaurant
Landgut Riegerbauer ****
Weinhof- Buschenschank Posch GenussCard Partner
Flußbad und Familien-Erlebnisbad St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Café Bäckerei Felber
Please pay attention to certain rules of conduct when riding a racing bike:
- Riding responsibly at a controlled speed and at half speed, especially on bends, creates safety, as obstacles such as stones, branches, path damage are possible at any time.
- Hikers and pedestrians please have priority and overtaking should be done considerately at walking pace.
- Good tour planning also takes into account the difficulty of the route and your own ability.
- Fire brigade: 122
- Police: 133
- Rescue: 144
- Euro emergency number: 112
Tips and hints
Eastern Styria Tourist Board | Office St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Lower Main Street 181
8181 St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Tel. +43 664 2353414
Further information on the subject of racing bikes can be found here.
More than 120 excursion destinations and enjoyment stations free of charge with the GenussCard.
- Starting from the main square in St. Ruprecht an der Raab, we cycle along the Weinland Steiermark cycle tour in the direction of Neudorf. In Neudorf we keep to the right to reach the small sports field.
- Immediately after this we turn right again and cycle over the Eidexberg at the beginning through an idyllic piece of forest and then past apple orchards and vineyards to cross the L 360 in the north of the village of Rollsdorf.
- On this hilly stage we soon reach the beautifully situated village of Puch bei Weiz, the centre of the apple country.
- We leave the largest apple-growing community in Austria via an ascent and turn right onto the Kulmstraße a few metres after the fire station. We follow this road steadily uphill and past the Kulmkeltendorf village to the highest point of the tour at 799 m above sea level.
- Then we cycle rapidly downhill - watch out for some hairpin bends - to Lake Stubenberg. After a welcome cool-down, we cycle on to the nearby Herberstein Zoo with its beautiful garden castle, which is well worth a visit.
- The rest of the route leads downhill to the small village of St. Johann bei Herberstein, where we turn right at the Prettenhofer Inn and cross the Feistritz River over a bridge. From here, we head uphill again past the popular Riegerbauer inn into the vineyards of the East Styrian Roman Wine Route. Small wine taverns invite you to take a break.
- In Siegersdorf near Herberstein we turn left and reach Romatschachen via the Hollerberg wine-growing area. The tour now takes us to Pischelsdorf, which we cross to turn off the L 394 towards Rothgmos after a few metres.
- We now cycle in a loop towards the west via Ilztal/Prebensdorf and the scenic hills north of Gleisdorf to Albersdorf-Prebuch.
- Past the Steirerkraft Kernothek in the Wollsdorf district, we return to St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
St. Ruprecht an der Raab is easily accessible by train and has its own railway station. To Graz main station - direction Gleisdorf - change - S-Bahn to Weiz. By bike you reach the centre in 2 min: Go straight ahead through the avenue (Bahnhofstraße) until you reach the crossroads. Turn right there and follow Hauptstraße towards Hauptplatz.
Timetables and travel information can be found directly at:
The market town of St.Ruprecht an der Raab is located in Eastern Styria and is very easy to reach via the A2 motorway from Vienna (approx. 2 hours) and Graz (approx. 30 min.).
Arrival from Vienna and from Graz: On the A2 from Vienna and from Graz, take motorway exit 161 / Gleisdorf West in the direction of B54/B64. Follow the B65 / Gleisdorf federal road until you reach the B54 / Wechselbundesstraße. At the roundabout take the second exit to the B64 / Rechberg-Bundesstraße. After about 6 km turn left to St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
There are several parking spaces available on the main square in St. Ruprecht an der Raab. Alternatively, about 150 m away, past the Hotel Locker & Légere and the Marktheurigen Strobl, there are numerous parking spaces at the large park in the middle of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Book recommendation by the author
You can find more road bike tours here.
A helmet and a technically perfect road bike will make your tour a pleasure.
- 22 Waypoints
- 22 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others