When ascending the Wilder Freiger for the first time in 1869 Julius Ficker and his two mountain guides from the Stubai, Pankraz Gleinser and Sebastian Rainalter, had to walk all the way from Neustift to Ranalt, where they hiked through Längenthal to their overnight stay at the hut on the Hoher Grübel. The next day, they hiked about 5 hours from the hut to the peak. The glacier and the massive ice, which was covering the Wilder Freiger, were impressive and demanding at the same time, as they surrounded them on all sides. Bit by bit, alpine huts were built and trails installed around the Wilder Freiger. Already in 1912, a high mountain route – the Lübecker Weg – connected the Dresdner Hütte (hut) across the peak of the Wilder Freiger with the hut on the Becher. This path was installed as an ice free crossing from Stubai, over the main Alpine ridge to Ridnaun, from the Dresdner Hütte (hut) via Peiljoch to the Fernerstube (cabin) and from there onto the bottom of the ridge to the Aperer Freiger and further on across the slopes uphill to the Lübecker Scharte (gap) where an almost continuous wire-rope secured ascent begins.