The highest of Stubai’s nine mountain lakes at 2,648 m, just beneath the mountain‘s peak.
Distance 10.9 km
Its basin was carved out by the sheer force of the glaciers originating from the last ice age. The fact that it is still present today, after more than 10,000 years, and with an undisturbed surface is largely attributable to its location. Neither avalanches nor mudslides have succeeded in reaching its location. It spans an area of roughly 18,000 m². Despite its enormous height and the associated living conditions, a broad array of life thrives here. Arctic char manage to eke out a meagre existence. Due to a lack of food, these fish species from the Salmonidae family remain very small, albeit highly diverse in terms of form. Amphibians such as Alpine newts seek out this aquatic oasis in what is otherwise a barren mountainous landscape. In addition to the species already mentioned, it is predominantly the larvae of various types of flies – stone flies, caddis flies and mayflies – that thrive here. At this altitude, such an occurrence is considered quite special.
Update: March 09, 2021
Getting thereDie Tour startet bei der Oberissalm im Oberbergtal, das von Neustift (Milders) aus erreicht werden kann. Dort befinden sich kostenpflichtige Parkplätze.
ParkingKostenpflichtige Parkplätze bei der Oberiss Alm.
32T 666480 5218035
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view