For a more detailed description of the tour, please refer to "PDF Print" above.
Rest StopRestaurant Olympiahaus
Safety informationYou should be fit, sure-footed and should not suffer from dizzy spells.
Number of mountain rescue service for Alpine emergencies: Phone 112
Weather forecasts for the local mountain area provided by the Bavarian Zugspitzbahn cable car company: Phone +49 8821 797 979
Tips and hintswww.gapa.de
Getting thereTake the motorway A95 to its end at Eschenlohe, and then follow the state road B2 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. After the tunnel drive in the direction of the Partenkirchen part of town. Near the end of the town, follow the signs to the Olympia Skistadion (Olympic Skiing Stadium).
If you are coming from Mittenwald, take the state road B2 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Turn left at the first possibility. Follow the signs to the Olympia Skistadion (Olympic Skiing Stadium).
If you are coming via the state road B23, drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and turn right onto Gernackerstraße at the second traffic lights. Follow the course of the road (St.-Martin-Straße, Bahnhofstraße). Turn right at the intersection at the town hall and stay on the main road until signs point you to the way to the Olympia Skistadion (Olympic Skiing Stadium) near the end of the town.
ParkingAt the Olympic Ski Stadium, some of which is paid parking (P13).
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentSturdy, ankle-high footwear and weatherproof clothing.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.