Part of my hikingtrip from Amsterdam to Sarajevo, this is the Via Alpina Red Trail through the Austrian Alps.
On the Via Alpina I kept on crossing borders. Germany, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Germany, Austria. The trail follows the mountains and well, nature does not know borders. Borders are often formed by nature, but I could hardly see the differences. So, I “filed” this part under “Austria”, but parts of this traject actually were in Germany.
The Austrian Alps are versatile, the Via Alpina leads you through one National Park after the other. Each mountain range had its own characteristic features. It’s own beauty. I’m not even trying to think of “the most beautiful,” because honestly all of it is worth to explore.
Complete list with daystages: Walking from Amsterdam to Sarajevo
My complete tours on Outdooractive:
For stories about my hike, check out my blog EVAdinarica Project.
Rest StopDominikus Hütte gardenkamp
Mountain hotel Körbersee.
Pfitscher-Joch-Haus (Rif. Passo di Vizze)
Safety informationAlthough the route is well marked, a GPS makes it so much easier ánd lighter, because you can leave the maps and guide book at home.
Tips and hints
Stories on my BLOG:
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.