The snowshoe hike begins at the Schwarzseespitze, the mountain station of the Bergbahn Rittner Horn cable car.
Route: take trail no. 19 to the Unterhornhaus inn and continue on the gently ascending trail to the highest point, the Rittner Horn, which is especially popular in winter due to the many hours of sunshine that can be enjoyed here.
Tip: travel from Bolzano/Bozen to Soprabolzano/Oberbozen on the Rittner Seilbahn cable car. Continue on the Rittner Bahn narrow-gauge railway to Collalbo/Klobenstein. Continue on bus 166 to the valley station of the Rittner Horn cable car.
Getting there from Bolzano/Bozen:
By car: from Munich in approximately 3,5 hours via the motorway (Rosenheim-Kufstein-Innsbruck-Brenner) until you come to the motorway exitz Bolzano/Bozen NORD. Take this exit, drive in the direction of Bolzano and toward the Renon/Ritten mountain.
By train: On the Munich-Innsbruck_Verona line to Bolzano wehre alal trains stop. Bus stop near the train station, whrere buses 165 go to Collalbo/Renon. Or walk 10 minutes to the start of ropeways to Soprabolzano/Renon. The ropeway goes in only 12 minutes to Soprabolzano/Renon. There starts the Renon railway every half hour and after 18 minutes you arrive to Collalbo/Renon. The bus 166 starte under the station Collalbo on 9:08, 10:08, 11:08, 12:08, 14:08, 15:08 an 16:08 to the starte of the cablecar Corno del Renon.
Basic Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.