Snowshoe tour: The “Gsieser Törl” – over centuries a strategic passage for man and beast: pilgrims, smugglers, pedlars, hunters, shepherds, as well as the odd lover…
Starting point: Head of the valley in St. Magdalena in the Gsieser Valley 1465 m
Descent: back via the ascent route, from Kradorfer Alm left turn is also possible
Hiking time: 2 ½ hours
Level of difficulty: moderate to difficult; technical difficulties are minor; but last part of the climb is steep
Altitude difference: 745 m
Getting thereComing from Innsbruck/Brennero (A): Drive on the Highway of Brennero (A22) until the exit Bressanone/Val Pusteria, then go on along the SS49-E66 for about 58kms until you arrive in Monguelfo. To get to Tesido and the Val Casies Valley, we recommend to take the exit West in Monguelfo. Coming from Lienz (A): You can reach us also padding by Lienz in Westtyrol (A). You have to cross the Austrian-Italian border between Ahrnbach and Winnebach (B100-E66) and drive on the SS46-E66 until Monguelfo. To get to Tesido and the Val Casies, we recommend to take the exit West in Monguelfo.
Basic Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.