Even though it is a tour which is suited to beginners, it gives you a chance to see all te comings and goings along the lake front of Riva del Garda and Lido di Arco. You will be able to watch all the activity in the water as well s on the beach, mingling with the crowds of watersports enthusiasts enjoying the lakeside in Garda Trentino.
While you are out on the water, if you look closely you will see what is called the water line: the point where the currents of the River Sarca meet those of the lake, with little ripples and a clear difference in the colour of the lake and river water.
Watch out! If you decide to go out on the water in the morning, keep an eye on the conditions of the wind known as the "Pelèr" which blows in the early part of the day. Always check the weather forecast.
7 Tips to SUP in safety
- Always find out about the winds, weather and water conditions. The lake is subject to currents and steady winds which in the afternoon can make the water rough so that sup becomes difficult for beginners.
- If you are planning solo sessions, always tell some where you are going and what time you are leaving. Use schools or the sup club as a base.
- Keep to the coast but stay 500/600m from the shore and the cliffs where there might be rock falls.
- It is important to know how to swim in rough water and have the right equipment and proper clothing for the weather conditions. You must use a sup board with a volume suited to your abilities and wear an CE approved personal buoyancy aid.
- Always tie on the leash; the coast or shore might be far away and in case of problems you should never abandon the sup.
- Find out about any local ordinances and ask locals for advice
- Enjoy yourself. Sup combines a love of sport and nature and the beauty of Garda Trentino.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
The car park nearest to the point of departure is Porto San Nicolò (pay parking).
Free parking in Riva del Garda at the old hospital (via Rosmini) and the old cemetery (Viale D. Chiesa). Further pay parking at the Public Gardens Porta Orientale, Roman Baths, Viale Lutti (Ex Agraria), Monte Oro, shopping center Blue Garden.
EquipmentIn spring and summer you are advised to wear a semi-drysuit, in summer all you need is a swimsuit and lycra suit. You always need to wear a life jacket.
Basic Equipment for Canoeing
- Neoprene wetsuit and socks of suitable thickness
- Durable, hard-soled footwear that allows water to pass through (preferably with neoprene uppers) Neoprene wetsuit and socks of suitable thickness
- Buoyancy aid (PFD)
- Buoyant kit bag and dry bags
- Sun hat
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Mosquito spray
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Quick-drying towel
Technical Equipment for Canoeing
- 5 fathom long rope or chain in good condition and suitable for docking
- Measuring cup or sponge with a capacity of at least 1 liter
- Portable navigation light
- Knee pads
- Yoke (with pads)
- Emergency floating throw line (with bag)
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.