Lake Ledro is a great natural swimming pool 650 m above sea level where you can paddle your SUP in freedom.
To go around the lake you can start out from any of the four beaches (Molina di Ledro, Mezzolago, Pieve di Ledro and Pur): the Molina beach was chosen for its easy access.
The panorama is breathtaking and there are numerous bays and inlets in natural surroundings where you can go in on your board and find utter peace and tranquillity. It is extremely rare that the wind conditions create any difficulties for paddling but if the length of the tour becomes a problem, you can always stop off at one of the beaches.
Lake Ledro owes its origins to a morainic barrage during the fourth ice age. In 1929, when the level of the lake was lowered for hydroelectric work, a pile dwelling settlement came to light which dates back to the Bronze Age and is now a UNESCO heritage site.
6 Tips to SUP in safety
- Always find out about the winds, weather and water conditions.
- If you are planning solo sessions, always tell some where you are going and what time you are leaving. Use schools or the sup club as a base.
- It is important to know how to swim in rough water and have the right equipment and proper clothing for the weather conditions. You must use a sup board with a volume suited to your abilities and wear an CE approved personal buoyancy aid.
- Always tie on the leash; the coast or shore might be far away and in case of problems you should never abandon the sup.
- Find out about any local ordinances and ask locals for advice.
- Enjoy yourself. Sup combines a love of sport and nature and the beauty of Garda Trentino.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason, we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
Getting thereGetting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
For arrive to Lago di Ledro, take the road statale SS 240 in direction Valle di Ledro (10 Km fromRiva del Garda).
ParkingPay parking in loc. Besta in Molina di Ledro
EquipmentIn spring and summer you are advised to wear a semi-drysuit, in summer all you need is a swimsuit and lycra suit. You always need to wear a life jacket.
Basic Equipment for Canoeing
- Neoprene wetsuit and socks of suitable thickness
- Durable, hard-soled footwear that allows water to pass through (preferably with neoprene uppers) Neoprene wetsuit and socks of suitable thickness
- Buoyancy aid (PFD)
- Buoyant kit bag and dry bags
- Sun hat
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Mosquito spray
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Quick-drying towel
Technical Equipment for Canoeing
- 5 fathom long rope or chain in good condition and suitable for docking
- Measuring cup or sponge with a capacity of at least 1 liter
- Portable navigation light
- Knee pads
- Yoke (with pads)
- Emergency floating throw line (with bag)
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.