The Rocchetta group forms a striking backdrop on the right-hand shore of Lake Garda. Steep rock walls soar from water level to over 1000 metres, giving Garda Trentino the air of a Nordic fjord. This tour allows you to explore the base of the rock wall as far as Punta Sperone, a rocky bluff sticking out into the lake which hides one of the oldest forts in the old Austro-Hungarian defence system. Garda Trentino was the southernmost border of the empire and guarded as an important strategic position. Just above the lake, you can make out the Ponale Trail which winds up the rock face, dotted here and there with biking and hiking enthusiasts.
Watch outl! In high winds you are advised to sttay at a safe distance from the cliff because of the danger of falling rocks.
In any case it is advisable to take this tour accompanied by a qualified instructor.
7 Tips to SUP in safety
- Always find out about the winds, weather and water conditions. The lake is subject to currents and steady winds which in the afternoon can make the water rough so that sup becomes difficult for beginners.
- If you are planning solo sessions, always tell some where you are going and what time you are leaving. Use schools or the sup club as a base.
- Keep to the coast but stay 500/600m from the shore and the cliffs where there might be rock falls.
- It is important to know how to swim in rough water and have the right equipment and proper clothing for the weather conditions. You must use a sup board with a volume suited to your abilities and wear an CE approved personal buoyancy aid.
- Always tie on the leash; the coast or shore might be far away and in case of problems you should never abandon the sup.
- Find out about any local ordinances and ask locals for advice
- Enjoy yourself. Sup combines a love of sport and nature and the beauty of Garda Trentino.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
The car park nearest to the point of departure is Porto San Nicolò (pay parking).
Free parking in Riva del Garda at the old hospital (via Rosmini) and the old cemetery (Viale D. Chiesa). Further pay parking at the Public Gardens Porta Orientale, Roman Baths, Viale Lutti (Ex Agraria), Monte Oro, shopping center Blue Garden.