An urban trail through the historic centre of Riva which connects the buildings designed by Giancarlo Maroni, the architect of the Vittoriale which was the residence on Lake Garda of Gabriele d'Annunzio
The stages of this trail link up some of the works of the architect Giancarlo Maroni, a member of the urban planning commission which oversaw the reconstruction of Riva del Garda after the First World War. Maroni is of course famous as the architect of the “Vittoriale degli Italiani”. The Vittoriale is a complex of buildings commissioned by the Italian poet Gabriele d'Annunzio during the 1920s which includes the poet's house, a theatre, and lush gardens connected by avenues and squares. This sumptuous complex is situated in Gardone Riviera and is one of the most popular attractions on Lake Garda.
In the years he spent working in Riva, which was his birthplace, Maroni left his mark on the architecture of the town, building and reconstructing a number of important buildings in the historic centre and outlying districts
The Hidden Treasures itineraries were designed in order to give visitors a chance to get to know places in Garda Trentino that are off the beaten track. For this reason, the signposting is not always in the same style and sometimes missing altogether. We therefore recommend you to take a good map with you on these excursions. And then bear in mind your general reference points: Lake Garda = South, Monte Stivo = East, Rocchetta = West, Arco Castle = North.
The telephone number for the emergency services is 112.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- Dolomiti Energia offers guided tours of the Ponale hydroelectric station. Visits, which need to be booked in advance, can be made all year round in Italian (and from spring to autumn in English and German too). For bookings and information: Garda Trentino Tourist Offices and the website www.hydrotourdolomiti.it
- For more information on routes, activities, events and accommodation at lake Garda: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 - www.gardatrentino.it
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
Free parking in Riva del Garda at the old hospital (via Rosmini) and the old cemetery (Viale D. Chiesa).
Pay parking at the Public Gardens Porta Orientale, Roman Baths, Viale Lutti (Ex Agraria), Monte Oro, Blue Garden.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentThis excursion is quite simple and presents no particular difficulty. However, we still recommend you to wear suitable footwear, a hat, sun screen and sunglasses. And be sure to bring water!
Basic Equipment for City Walks
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Cell phone
- Cash and cards
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.