An easy route recommended for those who wish to explore Garda Trentino by bike. From the shores of Lake Garda, you head uphill first towards Arco, through the valley of olive groves, and then along the banks of the River Sarca through vineyards and orchards. The return trip passes by Lake Cavedine, another picturesque body of water in the area and leads to Torbole, one of the most renowned towns in Garda Trentino.
This itinerary gives you the chance to enjoy the diversity and richness of the landscape in Garda Trentino, from a typical Mediterranean setting to a more Alpine environment, passing through the Marocche, also known as the “valleys of the Moon”(valli della Luna). It is a protected nature reserve, an utterly unique landscape, one of the largest post-glacial landslides in the entire Alps with an arid climate completely different from the surrounding area.
Rest stopsAgritur Madonna delle Vittorie
Pizzeria Ristorante Centrale
Ristorante Alfio Bar Pizzeria
Winery Gino Pedrotti
- Give your bike a regular checkup, especially if you've had it for years.
- Be seen: you must wear a high vis jacket (or sash) in tunnels and on country roads after sunset.
- Always wear your helmet.
- Make sure your front and rear lights are working.
- Put out your arm to give advance warning of your intention to change position and before you do anything, check there are no vehicles coming up behind you.
- Don't use headphones or your mobile phone handsfree kit: you need all your concentration on the road!
- Obey the road signs: stop at traffic lights and don't ride on the wrong side of the road.
- If you are cycling in a group, always go in single file.
- You've got a bell: use it to let pedestrians know you're there. Don't ride on footpaths. If you have to then get off and push your bike.
- If there are cycle paths use them. It's your safety that's at stake and the rules of the road say you must.
The cycle pathe in Trentino are usually closed by the local authorities from November, 15th to April, 15th. Exceptions are the cycle paths along the River Adige and in the Basso Sarca/Garda Trentino, where cycling is prohibited only in case of ice or during a snowfall.
Tips and hints
- After Pietramurata the cycle path winds through many vineyards: you are in the area where Vino Santo is produced, a local Slow Food presidium of Garda Trentino. It is a sweet wine which is produced in limited quantities and the indigenous Nosiola grapes are traditionally pressed on Good Friday, Venerdì Santo. Along the trail you will come across many wine cellars and farms where you can stop off and taste the food and wine of Garda Trentino.
- For more information on routes and bike services: rentals, workshops, shops and cycling friendly accommodation - APT Garda Trentino Tel. +39 0464 554444
Riva del Garda is easily accessible (about 18 km) from the Rovereto Sud - Lago di Garda Nord motorway exit.
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino