A few dates. The works for the Ponale road began in 1847. In 1891 the road was opened to cars. Until 1990 the Ponale was the only connection between Riva del Garda and Valle di Ledro. After the opening of the tunnel, the Ponale was reconverted into a path in 2004.
The Ponale has been a battleground as well. During the First World War the Austrian army defended Riva (Festung Riva) from the attacks of the Italian soldiers thanks to a complex system of fortifications,the Tagliata del Ponale or Ponalesperre.
Rest StopPonale Alto Belvedere
Please note that the practicability of the itineraries in a mountain environment is strictly linked to the contingent conditions and is therefore influenced by natural phenomena, environmental changes and weather conditions. For this reason, the information contained in this page may have changed. Before leaving for a tour, make sure the path you will approach is still accessible by contacting the owner of the mountain hut, the alpine guides or the visitor centres of the nature parks, the info offices of the local tourist board.
Tips and hints
Further information on www.vallediledro.com
Exit the A22 motorway at Rovereto Sud – Lago di Garda. Follow the SS240 della Val di Ledro up to the exit of the tunnel linking Valle di Ledro and Riva del Garda. Further options
ParkingCar park at the junction with the road to Pregasina.
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.