This stretch of the route is mostly downhill: it winds by the bottom part of the rocky rampart of Monte Tofino to reach Tenno's valley floor, a viewpoint onto the Alto Garda, well known for its medieval hamlets. It rises on the hillside of Monte Misone as up as San Pietro'mountain hut, a breathtaking observation post.
Less challenging than the previous one, this lengthily excursion still needs great effort nonetheless with great rewards. In fact, along the trail it is possible to admire the stunning intense shade of lake Tenno and visit the medieval village of Canale di Tenno, recognized from the association "Borghi più belli d'Italia" as one of the most beautiful villages in Italy. Countless are the places to freshen up if tired.
Leaving Canale in about one hour following an old mule track trough woods and chestnut grove, you reach the San Pietro moutain hut, the last stop and a natural scenic place with a magnificent overview of lake Garda.
Attention: check the condition of the trail with the manager of the mountain hut Rifugio Nino Pernici. Otherwise use the alternative route.
In summer you should stop off at Lake Tenno. Take time out for a refreshing swim in the famous turquoise waters of the lake!
Rest stopsBOCCA DI TRAT "NINO PERNICI"
MONTE CALINO "SAN PIETRO"
Canale di Tenno medieval village
While not involving any particular technical difficulties, this trek should only be undertaken by hikers with a good level of fitness and plenty of experience since there are some very exposed stretches which require due caution. The trail Sentiero della Regina from the Pernici hut to Monte Vender is often prone to avalanches during the winter season and in such cases is impassable until the debris is cleared.
You'd better check the condition of the trail with the manager of the mountain hut Rifugio Nino Pernici or contact the SAT club in Riva del Garda when you are planning the excursion. Be prepared if needs be to descend to Campi along SAT 402 (see the alternative route) where you can follow directions for Garda Trek - Medium Loop to take you to Canale di Tenno and from there to the Rifugio San Pietro hut.
From late autumn to the end of spring you can come across icy stretches which make the going treacherous unless you have the proper equipment. In any case, avoid this stretch in case of bad weather due to the risk of landslides or rockfalls in the gulleys along the way. Be sure to wear footwear and clothing suited to hiking in alpine conditions. This trail is only recommended from June to mid-October.
The information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- San Pietro hut is easily accessible and one of the most popular destinations with visitors and locals alike. The hut was built on the foundations of the ancient hermitage which stood beside the little medieval chapel which is still standing today. There is a spectacular view from the terrace over Northern Garda.
- For those who would rather head back before the San Pietro hut: At the car park at lake Tenno, just opposite to the end of trail SAT 445 coming down from Monte Vender, there's a bus stop. N.B.: buses to Riva del Garda do not pass very often. Get info about bus times on: www.gardatrentino.it
- You can also walk down to Riva del Garda. At the parking place take the small road behind the info point (open during the summer) and follow it till a big wooden cross. Leave the cross on your left and walk down to Ville del Monte. Cross the main road and at the church take the old dirt track as far as Tenno. At the end of the track, cross the main road and go through the town. SAT 401 comes out right opposite the hotel Albergo Ristorante Antica Croce and a few steps lead down to the main road in the Gavazzo district. Watch out for traffic and follow the main road until you come to the restaurant Ristorante Foci "Da Rita", where you can catch a bus for Riva del Garda. Otherwise, you can keep going on foot towards Varone and follow the cycle path to Riva del Garda.
- For those who would like to stay overnight in the San Pietro hut and then head back: follow signposts from the hut for the trail SAT 401. Once you get to Gavazzo you can take the bus to Riva del Garda or keep going on foot (see above).
- For further information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation: APT Garda Trentino, Tel. +39 0464 554444 www.gardatrentino.it
How to get to Rifugio Nino Pernici:
- from Lenzumo at 796 m a.s.l. in Val Concei, by road for 7 km as far as the Trat pasture 1556 m, trail number 403, then along the trail for 20 minutes; on foot 2 h 15;
- from Riva del Garda 73 m, trail number 402, passing through Santa Maria Maddalena 252 m, San Giovanni 440 m, Pinza, Campi 672 m, Rifugio Grass hut 1055 m, Dosso dei Fiori pasture 1355 m, Bocca di Trat 1581 m - 4h 15min (1h 30min from Grassi hut, which you can reach by 14 km of road)
Getting to noerthern lake Garda / Garda Trentino: www.gardatrentino.it
ParkingSee note to stage 1
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
The trek proposed here does not have bolted routes or via ferratas, and so there is no need for helmets, harness or rope. However, considering how physically demanding the route is, the length of the stages and the presence of some exposed stretches, this type of trek is only recommended for people who are very fit, who have a good sense of direction and who are used to hiking in a mountain environment.
GardaTrek requires you to have standard hiking equipment for alpine terrain and we suggest you also bring a wind and waterproof jacket and fleece in case of bad weather, a torch, a change of underwear, sunglasses and sunscreen, a water canteen and snacks.
- 8 Waypoints
- 8 Waypoints