Bastione and Santa Barbara, the lords of Riva del Garda
Garda Trentino Verified partner Explorers Choice
The view from the BastionePhoto: Patrizia N. Matteotti (Archivio Garda Trentino), Garda Trentino
From Riva del Garda to Bastione and then on up to Santa Barbara: this hike touches on two of the symbols of the town perched on the mountainside above Riva del Garda
From down below, the Bastione and especially the chapel of Santa Barbara, seem incredibly far away, perched on the steep mountainside. However it doesn't take long at all to get to them and from up there you have spectacular views over Riva del Garda and the lake.
The chapel of Santa Barbara, standing out white against the rock of the mountain, was built during the 1920s when work was under way on the pipes carrying the water from Lake Ledro to the hydroelectric station in Riva del Garda and is dedicated to the patron saint of miners.
Santa Barbara is one of the most spectacular viewing points in Garda Trentino: don't forget your camera!
- Choose itineraries that suit your physical and technical abilities. Collect information about the area you are visiting and the trail’s conditions and get a detailed trekking map.
- Wear clothes and take equipment that suit the difficulty and length of your tour. Keep emergency gear in your rucksack, including first aid supplies.
- Do not go walking alone in the mountains. In any case, tell someone where you are going and report back on returning.
- Look at the weather forecast before setting off and always keep an eye on the weather.
- In case of doubt, go back. It is better to give up than risk bad weather or face difficulties beyond your strength, ability and equipment.
- Do not leave marked paths and do not take shortcuts.
- All described walks are in a natural environment and therefore their use is at your own risk.
This information is subject to inevitable variations, so none of these indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason, we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, it is advisable to check environment and weather conditions before setting out.
Tips and hints
For more information on routes, services (guides, mountain huts, shops etc.) and hiking friendly accommodation: Garda Trentino - +39 0464 554444
From the centre of Riva del Garda (Via Monte Oro), take the paved road which leads up to Bastione, following directions for the mountain hut Capanna Santa Barbara (SAT 404). After you have visited Bastione with its magnificent views of the gulf, rejoin the trail which heads up steeply towards Capanna Santa Barbara. It is only a short distance from there to the chapel. Head back down to town the way you came.
The main towns in Garda Trentino - Riva del Garda, Arco, Torbole sul Garda, Nago – are connected by several urban and intercity bus lines which will take you to the starting point of tours or in the immediate surroundings.
You can also get to Riva del Garda and Torbole sul Garda by the public ferry service.
Up-to-date information on timetables and routes.
Find out how to reach Garda Trentino.
Parking near the former hospital (Via Rosmini) or the former cemetery (Viale Damiano Chiesa).
Paid parking: Terme Romane (Viale Roma), Vecchia stazione (Largo Medaglie d’Oro), Ex-agraria (Via Lutti), Area ex-Cattoi (Viale Rovereto).
Author’s map recommendations
Garda Trentino TREKKING Map – Available in the info points of Garda Trentino (Riva del Garda, Arco, Torbole sul Garda, Ledro, Comano Terme)
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
You need to wear the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
Your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do) should contain:
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
And finally... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.
Emergency telephone number 112.
- 2 Waypoints
- 2 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others