Garda Trentino Verified partner Explorers Choice
Strada tra i prati di TremalzoPhoto: Elisabetta Luraschi, Garda Trentino
Very easy route, ideal for families looking for a day trip in the mountains.
The old military road runs flat for much of the way towards Cima Avez, along the border between Trentino and Lombardia, a combat zone during the Great War. Tremalzo is a biodiverse garden, well-known all over the world for its endemisms, flowers ant plants which do not grow anywhere else in the world. Thanks to its border location, Cima Avez offers beautiful views over the Trentino and the Brescia region, over the Adamello and Lake Garda.
The period between August and September is the perfect one to go looking for Silene elisabethe, en endemic plant which sprouts among the limestone and dolomitic rocks of Tremalzo. The plant owes its name to a woman called Elisabeth. According to some it was the Empress, Sissi, according to others it was the wife of the botanic who discovered it, according to others still it was the wife of the governor of Lombardy-Venetia.
The Visitor Centre in Tremalzo is the right place to discover more about Silene elisabethae and the other endemic botanical species of Tremalzo.
Rest stopsRifugio Garda
- Choose itineraries that suit your physical and technical abilities. Collect information about the area you are visiting and the trail’s conditions and get a detailed trekking map.
- Wear clothes and take equipment that suit the difficulty and length of your tour. Keep emergency gear in your rucksack, including first aid supplies.
- Do not go walking alone in the mountains. In any case, tell someone where you are going and report back on returning.
- Look at the weather forecast before setting off and always keep an eye on the weather.
- In case of doubt, go back. It is better to give up than risk bad weather or face difficulties beyond your strength, ability and equipment.
- Do not leave marked paths and do not take shortcuts.
- All described walks are in a natural environment and therefore their use is at your own risk.
This information is subject to inevitable variations, so none of these indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason, we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, it is advisable to check environment and weather conditions before setting out.
Tips and hints
For more information on routes, services (guides, mountain huts, shops etc.) and hiking friendly accommodation: Garda Trentino - +39 0464 554444
From Hotel Garda walk downhill and turn left onto an old military road (SAT 444 path). Keep on this flat road for some kilometres, until you come upon a crossroads. Turn right onto a switchback road leading up to Cima Avèz. This stretch is the only uphill slope of the whole trek.
Valle di Ledro is connected to Riva del Garda by the intercity bus line 214 (Riva-Valle di Ledro-Storo). The nearest bus stop to the route is "Tremalzo Bivio".
Up-to-date information on timetables and routes.
Private shuttle service to Tremalzo. Click here for more information.
Exit the A22 motorway at Rovereto Sud – Lago di Garda. Follow the SS240 della Val di Ledro to the bus stop in Ampola. Then turn into the SP127 towards Tremalzo.
Find out how to reach Garda Trentino.
Car park near Rifugio Garda.
Author’s map recommendations
Garda Trentino TREKKING Map – Available in the info points of Garda Trentino (Riva del Garda, Arco, Torbole sul Garda, Ledro, Comano Terme)
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
You need to wear the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
Your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do) should contain:
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
And finally... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.
Emergency telephone number 112.
- 4 Waypoints
- 4 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others