Ceniga and Bolognano are only a few kilometres apart as the crow flies: the Medium Loop trail takes you on a detour to discover the most interesting features of this area, especially on the slopes of Monte Stivo.
Before you head up towards Drena and the Castle which overlooks the rocky wasteland of the Marocche, the trail passes near the ravine of the Rio Sallagoni river where there is one of the most spectacular via ferratas in all of Garda Trentino.
Shortly before Braila, the trail passes through the Open Air Gallery, an art project which turns the woods into an open air exhibition. Here you will see many installations made with all sorts of recycled materials bringing to life a wonderful world of colour.
From Troiana, a path leads across the mountainside and as far as the ridge running down from the summit of Monte Stivo, where you have wonderful views of the towns of Massone and Bolognano and over the plain as far as Torbole and Lake Garda.
Safety informationThe information on this chart is subject to inevitable variations, so this means that none of the indications are absolute. It is not entirely possible to avoid giving inexact or imprecise information, given how quickly environmental and weather conditions can change. For this reason we decline any responsibility for changes which the user may encounter. In any case, the hiker is advised to check the conditions of the places, environment and weather before setting out.
Tips and hints
- To find out more about chestnut cultivation in Garda Trentino, we recommend reading this article. Even today, the chestnuts of Drena and other localities of Garda Trentino are particularly sought after for their peculiar taste.
- This trek can normally be done all year round, but in the winter months you might come across some snow on the way. For this reason you should check the conditions of the trail if you are thinking of doing it from November to March. In this period it's advisable to check in advance the opening of mountain huts and accommodation, as they might be closed. Click here for information on accommodation, vacancies and prices at Garda Trentino.
- For more information on routes and hike services: guides, shops and hiking friendly accommodation: all about trekking in Garda Trentino- Tel. +39 0464 554444
Getting to northern lake Garda / Garda Trentino
ParkingFree parking slots available in Ceniga
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
You need to be wearing the right clothing and take the proper gear when you go hiking in the mountains. Even on relatively short easy outings make sure to take all you need so you don't run into trouble if things take an unexpected turn, for example a storm blows up or you have a sudden drop in energy levels.
What should you take when you go on a hike?
What you should have in your rucksack (for a day trip a 25/30L capacity should do):
- water canteen (1L)
- snacks (e.g. mixed dried fruit or chocolate)
- First aid kit
- windproof jacket
- change of t-shirt and socks (in a plastic bag)
- make sure to wear or at least bring a pair of long trousers
- sun screen
- whistle to attract attention in an emergency
- emergency telephone number: 112
Make sure you're wearing the right footwear for the trail and season. The going can get rough and rocky underfoot and a pair of hiking boots will protect you from sprains. When wet, a grassy slope, rocky slab or steep trail can be dangerous unless you are wearing the proper footwear.
... don't forget to bring your camera! You'll need it to capture the stunning views you come across all over Garda Trentino. And if you like, you can share your memories with us at #GardaTrentino.